Innerleithen, Peeblesshire, EH44 6NW
(13274 sq ft/1233.19sq m)
Magnificent A Listed mansion house set in beautiful policies by the Leithen Water amisdst the heather capped Border hills
Leithen Lodge is situated in the beautiful countryside of the Moorfoot Hills, approximately 11 miles to the north west of Peebles. Peeblesshire is one of the most beautiful and accessible parts of the Borders with rolling hills, farmland and woodlands. The attractive market town of Peebles offers excellent local services including shops, professional services and supermarkets. It also has a well regarded secondary school. Local primary schooling is available at St Ronan's Primary School in Innerleithen (4 miles). The private schools of Edinburgh, including Merchiston School and Fettes College, and Loretto School in Musselburgh (24 miles) are within easy reach.
While Leithen Lodge enjoys a wonderful rural position, it is extremely accessible. Edinburgh is only some 25 miles to the north. Edinburgh airport has flights to an increasing number of domestic and international destinations, including New York (Newark), and is 33 miles away.
The area is renowned for its outdoor activities. The River Tweed is the most prolific salmon river in Scotland and shooting can be arranged on nearby estates. There are golf courses at Innerleithen, Peebles and Cardrona. The Peebles Hydro and Cardrona Hotel both offer good leisure facilities and Glentress Forest is a fabulous facility for mountain bikers.
HISTORICAL & ARCHITECTURAL NOTE
The ancient forest of Leithen was a royal hunting ground until 1241 when Alexander II gifted the land to the monks of Newbattle Abbey. Following the Reformation, around 1560, the land, which came to be known as Leithenhopes, came into the ownership of Mark Kerr, the commendator of the Abbey, who had made a timely conversion to Protestantism. His son, also Mark, was created Earl of Lothian in 1606.
Over the ensuing centuries, Leithenhopes passed through various hands, until it was bought in 1852 by John Miller, a railway engineer, who considerably extended an existing building and added the first hydro heating system of its time. In 1885 Miller's daughter Margaret and his son in law, George Miller-Cunningham, commissioned A G Sydney Miller to remodel the house in the style of a mid-to-late 17th century laird's house, adding a new south east wing. The house was completely redecorated in Scottish Renaissance style with Arts and Craft detail and Jacobean panelling. The exceptional detailed plasterwork, carried out by L Grandison & Son, is still beautifully preserved to this day.
Sir George Miller-Cunningham sold the estate to Rosebery Estates in the 1940s and for many years the house was let. It fell into near dereliction and was rescued from demolition and restored in the early 1990s for David Lumsden by Hugh Ross. The current owners acquired Leithen Lodge in 2004 and have sympathetically refurbished both the house and grounds, retaining its charm and splendour, whilst taking it into the 21st century.
Leithen Lodge is a magnificent Category A listed house, an outstanding example of Arts and Crafts architecture. The property occupies a fabulous position, nestling in the hills to the north of Innerleithen, surrounded by wonderful, rugged countryside. The house offers exceptional accommodation, arranged over ground, first and second floors, which has some impressive reception rooms including a first floor drawing room and a stunning ballroom. Many of the rooms benefit from period features including ornate cornicing and plasterwork and many have original fireplaces with Delft tiled surrounds.
In addition to the principal accommodation Leithen Lodge has a total of four flats, three of which have been used for holiday lets (one in the house and two on the far side of the courtyard). The fourth is known as the courtyard wing, and although it enjoys a separate entrance, could easily be re-incorporated into the main house.
An impressive pillared verandah to the south of the house leads into:
Vestibule Black and white tiled floor and part glazed door into:
Reception Hall Decorative ceiling. Wooden panelled walls. Stone fireplace with solid fuel burning stove and decorative pillars either side. Overlooked by gallery to the principal corridor on the first floor.
Smoking Room Bay window with working shutters. Open fireplace. Fitted display cupboards. Door to inner hallway giving access to bedroom suite:
Bathroom En suite bathroom with roll top bath, wash hand basin with marble surround and cupboard below, WC.
Dressing Room Fireplace with Delft tiled surround. Fitted wardrobes. Door to:
Bedroom 1 Bay window with working shutters. Open fireplace with Delft tile surround. Display cupboard.
Dressing Room Fitted wardrobe.
From staircase hall door, with tiled floor, into:
Study Safe cupboard. Ornate fireplace. Door to back hall.
Breakfast Room Tiled floor. Wood burning stove. Shelved cupboard.
Butler's pantry Fitted cupboards incorporating stainless steel sink. Space and plumbing for dishwasher. Dumb waiter. Tiled floor.
Kitchen Range of wall and floor units incorporating a four oven Aga with electric ceramic hob module. 1½ bowl stainless steel sink. Gaggenau griddle and deep fat fryer. Island unit with extensive cupboard space and marble top. Storage and glazed display cabinet. Integrated dishwasher. Large integrated fridge. Tiled floor.
Larder Fitted cupboards, shelving and marble worktops.
Prep Kitchen Range of fitted floor and wall units incorporating two bowl stainless steel sink. Space and plumbing for large fridge freezer. Gaggenau microwave oven and fan assisted oven. Tiled floor.
Separate courtyard hall
Cloakroom WC. Wash hand basin. Tiled floor.
Front Courtyard Hall Staircase to:
Bedroom 1 Cupboard housing water boiler.
Bathroom Bath and shower over, WC, wash hand basin and tiled floor.
Kitchen Wall and floor units incorporating stainless steel sink. Integrated fan assisted oven. Four ring ceramic hob.
Dining Room Views over garden.
Sitting Room Ornate fireplace.
Bedroom 2 Fitted wardrobes. Ornate fireplace. Views of courtyard.
Magnificent galleried landing lit by three picture windows and overlooking the reception hall.
Drawing Room Superb ornate plaster ceiling. Bay window. Large wood burning stove with marble surround and club fender. Wood panelled walls incorporating fitted glazed cabinets. Storage cupboard.
Orangery Heating pipes, tiled floor and original window opening mechanism.
Library Bay window. Extensive fitted book shelving. Overlooked by gallery.
Dining Room Alcove overlooking courtyard. Magnificent open fireplace with marble and painted timber wooden surround with inlaid mirror. Shelved cupboard. Fluted columns on either side of the door into:
Prep Kitchen Dumb waiter from ground floor.
Cloakroom Extensive fitted cupboards. WC. Wash hand basin.
From the orangery a door leads into a secondary staircase hall with stairs leading to the ground and second floors. From here a door leads into:
Ballroom Alcove with wood burning stove and ornate marble surround. Vaulted ceiling. Magnificent plasterwork and murals. Bay window. Timber floor.
From staircase hall door leading to bedroom corridor.
Bedroom 2 Ornate fireplace. Cupboard housing hot water cylinder. Further storage cupboard. Glazed storage cupboard with drawers under. Cupboard space below.
Bathroom Roll top bath. WC. Wash hand basin with cupboard below.
Bedroom Ornate fireplace with Delft tiled surround.
Sitting Room Ornate fireplace with Delft tiled surround.
Bedroom 4 Ornate fireplace with Delft tiled surround.
En suite Bathroom Bath. Separate shower cubicle. WC. Round basin inset into cabinet with marble surround.
Dressing Room Extensive fitted wardrobes. Ornate fireplace with Delft tiled surround.
Bedroom 5 Ornate fireplace. Gallery overlooking library.
Bathroom Roll top bath with original shower attachment hood above. WC. Oval basin with marble surround and cabinet below.
Accessed from both the courtyard and the front of the house is The Courtyard Wing. This has a sitting room, a bedroom with en suite bathroom, a dining room, kitchen and study.
Utility Room Three Belfast sinks. Space and plumbing for three washing machines and three tumble dryers. New oil-fired boiler (Worcester). Tiled floor.
Ladies WC WC, wash hand basin with cabinet below.
Gents WC WC, wash hand basin.
Beauty Room L shaped room with shower cubicle. Wash hand basin. Tiled floor.
Generator Room Diesel fired generator connected to the main building.
Stable Flat 1 Ground floor kitchen. On first floor - dining room, 2 bedrooms, library, open plan sitting room.
Stable Flat 2 Bathroom, WC, kitchen. Double bedroom/ sitting room.
Storage rooms Accessed by an outside stair, with potential for conversion.
Old Pump House
Timber garage building with wood store to side and slate roof over. Garage with a concrete floor and space for two cars.
The attractive courtyard is entered from the east side through the Lochend Arch. This was built for Sir John Sinclair of Longformacus for his new house at Dunbar in 1684. It was designed by James Smith and modelled on the architecture of Andreo Palladio. It was procured in order to preserve it and was re-erected at Leithen Lodge. The courtyard is paved and there is a central fountain and herb garden.
GARDENS AND GROUNDS
Leithen Lodge is set in wooded grounds extending to about 20 acres. The principal gardens lie to the north of the house. There are numerous mature trees interspersed by lawns with rhododendrons and a mass of snowdrops and bulbs. Extensive areas of lawns are interspersed with low stone walls with raised beds. A stone bridge leads over the Leithen Water to further woodlands on the far side. The gardens continue with two pagodas to further parkland where a number of trees have been planted.
Beyond the parkland is a walled garden which is arranged in two compartments with raised boxed beds and a fully fenced fruit garden. There is a formal garden behind with a trellised walkway, a central gravelled area and raised rose gardens and flower borders around.
Beyond the walled the garden is a lochan which has a wooden cabin with a covered balcony overlooking it.
Property Reference Number: GBEDRSEDS070300
- Peaceful burnside location
- Edinburgh 25 miles
- 2 bedroom suites
- 3 further bedrooms, 3 bathrooms
- Kitchens, breakfast room & dining room
- 4 reception rooms
- Self-contained flat
- 3 further letting apartments
- Courtyard and walled garden
- EPC Rating = E
8 Wemyss Place
+44 (0) 131 247 3700