Brechin, Angus, DD9 7PT
Impressive and attractive country house
Templewood House is situated in attractive rural countryside, yet is only a little over a mile north of the cathedral city of Brechin. To the north lie the Angus glens which form the foothills of the Grampian Mountains. The nearby village of Trinity lies between Brechin and the A90 bypass. The A90 dual carriageway links Aberdeen with Dundee and Perth. At Perth it connects with the A90 to Edinburgh and the A9 west to Stirling and Glasgow. Both Aberdeen and Dundee are easily reached and offer all the services expected of major cities. There are railway stations at Montrose and Laurencekirk with regular services to Aberdeen and the south, including a sleeper. Aberdeen Airport provides a range of domestic and European flights and there are direct flights from Dundee to London City Airport.
The nearby town of Brechin provides a range of shopping and business facilities, together with primary and secondary schooling. Further, more extensive shopping and business services are found in Forfar, the county town and in Montrose. Both Forfar and Brechin have leisure centres. Private schooling is available at Lathallan (Johnshaven), Dundee High School and in Aberdeen.
The range of outdoor pursuits in this part of Angus is impressive. Golf courses include Brechin, Forfar, Edzell, Letham Grange (Arbroath) and Carnoustie. Salmon and sea trout fishing can be taken on the nearby River South Esk or on the North Esk. There are pleasant sandy beaches at Lunan Bay and at St Cyrus.
Templewood has a well documented history. It is known that land, known as Temple Field, was sold to the church in 1444 and there is a long association with the Knights Templar. The late Nigel Tranter in the Queen's Scotland: The Eastern Counties states that Templewood of Keithock... belonged to the Knights Templar, and was bought at the forfeiture by Bishop Carnoth.
The property was not known as Templewood until the beginning of the 20th century. Originally it was called Bothers. Close to the cathedral in Brechin is Bother's Close. A plaque used to indicate that Bothers was the old name of Cairnbank or Templewood and belonged to the Cathedral Chapter and Bishop of Brechin. The church owned the property until the early 17th century. In the late 18th century the name of the property was changed to Cairnbank.
Parts of the house are believed to date from the 18th century with later additions between 1825 and 1840. It is Category B listed.
Templewood House is a fine Georgian country house, which looks out over its own garden and lawns. It is a gracious and handsome house and is well proportioned, with light and spacious rooms. Many of its original features remain and the house is manageable and at the same time elegant and large enough for entertaining.
The house is stone built with a slate roof and crow stepped gables to the rear. It is sheltered and protected by its own grounds. In recent times improvements include a Smallbone kitchen which was fitted in 1988. At that time the house was rewired and re-plumbed, the central heating was renewed, and the roof insulated. In the mid 1990s secondary glazing was added to those windows that did not have shutters.
The house is approached by a tarred driveway which leads from the gates up through mature gardens to a gravelled sweep at the front door, and continues on to the side of the house. The house dates from two periods. The 18th century part is situated to the rear. Further additions were made to the front, where the principal rooms are large and spacious. The house has recently been redecorated throughout.
Property Reference Number: GBBRRSBHS120158
- Sold in November 2013
- 5 bedroom (3 en suite)
- Integral garage
- EPC rating = F
- Enclosed gardens
- About 2.36 acres
- Home Report value - £675000