Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk, IP30 0UH
The Crutched Friars is a Grade II listed Tudor house which has been extended by the current owners to provide well proportioned accomodation. Its large barn and outbuildings have commercial potential.
Lying 3 miles south of Bury St Edmunds, just off the A134, The Crutched Friars is conveniently located for easy access to all the amenities that the town has to offer. Bury is an attractive market town with first class cultural and educational facilities, including the restored Theatre Royal, Cinemas and Cathedral.View property on map
An historic house with commercial buildings. The Crutched Friars is a wonderfully romantic Grade II listed Tudor house which incorporates many original Elizabethan features including crow stepped gables, a niched buttress and inset Flemish terracotta plaques. Being the former priory of the Holy Cross of Whelnetham, founded in 1274 and suppressed in 1536 it is believed to be one of Suffolk's oldest monastic houses.
This comfortable family home combines both historical and architectural interest. In recent years it has been subject to an extremely sympathetic restoration which has included a wonderful new reception hall in green oak with a limestone floor. This extension to the original structure incorporates a cloakroom and oak staircase with galleried landing.
The drawing room is nearly 35 feet in length and comprises the major part of the ground floor. It is a light and airy room with high ceiling, windows on three sides and an enormous inglenook fire place. Along the south side it looks into a garden room and at the eastern end it opens into a cosy snug, warmed by a wood burning stove. A connecting door leads through to an attractive and practical traditional kitchen which has a large central island with built-in fridge drawers, oak worktops and propane gas dual range oven. Next door is a utility with sink and cupboards and in the cool, north east corner, there is a walk-in larder.
The first floor comprises a large oak floored gallery, master bedroom with dressing room and shower room, three further bedrooms, one of them en suite and a family bathroom. Among other fascinating features, the windows of the original friars' cells can be seen in bedroom two and the adjacent bathroom. On the second floor, there is a fifth bedroom, which has views to both east and west from a pair of dormer windows.
The Crutched Friars sits at the end of a drive which climbs from the road through 4 acres of private grounds. A second drive serves the barn and an extremely useful range of substantial outbuildings. There is extensive parking and the whole establishment would lend itself to a wide range of commercial or domestic uses. Planning Permission has been granted for office use in the former stable.
The grounds slope gently and are mainly laid to grass with many fine trees. Around the house, there are lawns and shrubs and in a stone terrace besides the garden room sits an ornamental pond. Just outside the kitchen window, to the east of the house is a stone and flint buttress, all that remains of the chapel of St Thomas the Martyr, where the friars once worshipped.
drawing room including dining area
kitchen breakfast room
master bedroom with en suite shower room and dressing room
4 further bedrooms (1 with en suite shower room)
barn and extensive outbuildings with significant commercial potential
Property Reference Number: GBCARSCAS120008
- Sold in February 2013
- 5 bedrooms 3 bathrooms
- barn potential for conversion
- extensive outbuildings
- 4 acres