Dunkeld, Perthshire, PH8 0RE
(8069 sq ft/749.63sq m)
EXCEPTIONALLY PRIVATE ESTATE IN STUNNING PARKLAND SETTING **CLOSING DATE WEDNESDAY 12TH JUNE 12 NOON**
Kincairney Estate lies 4 miles north of Caputh and 6 miles east of Dunkeld, in an exceptionally private position overlooking the beautiful Perthshire countryside. The estate boasts 360° far
reaching panoramic views from the Grampian Mountains in the north to the Lomond Hills of Fife in the south. The estate enjoys easy access south to Perth and Edinburgh via the A9 and M90, with Edinburgh Airport (58 miles) generally just over one hour's drive away. The nearest railway station is Birnam and Dunkeld (8 miles) on the Inverness Perth line with regular services between Inverness and Perth and onwards to Edinburgh, Glasgow and London (including a sleeper service). Dunkeld, traditionally seen as a gateway to the Scottish Highlands with its historical cathedral dating from the 12th century, is a charming small town sitting on the banks of the River Tay. It boasts an array of quality independent shops, galleries, hotels and cafés.
Perth lies 16 miles to the south and provides a greater selection of shops, cultural and leisure facilities including professional services and private preparatory schooling. Within driving distance are a number of private schools including Glenalmond, Strathallan and Craigclowan prep school (all co-educational) and Kilgraston (girls only). The estate is ideally positioned to take advantage of all Perthshire has to offer. For the traditional country sportsman, the season begins with salmon fishing on Scotland's longest river, the Tay, on 15th January and runs to 15th October each year. Stalking and grouse shooting may be taken on several of the many Highland estates a short drive away to the north, in addition to pheasant and partridge shooting which can be enjoyed over the estate itself and locally.
For the winter sports enthusiast, Kincairney is ideally placed for the ski slopes of both Aviemore and Glenshee. There are challenging cycling routes and wonderful woodland walks for those not wishing to tackle some of Scotland's notable Munros to the north. The estate lies almost equidistant between two wonderful and highly respected 18 golf courses which are home to Dunkeld & Birnam Golf Club (5 miles) and The Blairgowrie Golf Club at Rosemount (7 miles).
The immediate area abounds with wildlife. The Scottish Wildlife Trust reserve at Loch of the Lowes, to the west of Kincairney, is famous for its ospreys and together with Loch of Clunie to the east attracts many migratory birds.
On 5th June 1592, ownership of the quarter lands of Kincairney, lying within the lordship of Dunkeld and sheriffdom of Perth was ratified as having been bestowed upon Alexander Young, usher, by King James VI, in recognition of 25 years of service to the monarch. By the early 18th century, Kincairney Estate was in the ownership of the Reverend Mungo Murray (or Moray), minister of Logierait. It remained in the ownership of that family for several generations. An article dated May 1833 in The Gardener's Review magazine of 1834 refers to a remarkable ash tree on the estate of Mungo Murray Esq, in the parish of Caputh, near Dunkeld. However, an 1852 Directory to Noblemen's and Gentlemen's Seats gives an Alexander Mitchell as the occupier. By 1870 or earlier, Kincairney had been acquired by the advocate William Ellis Gloag (1828 1909), the son of a Perth banker. William Ellis Gloag took the title Lord Kincairney on becoming a judge in 1889. Kincairney Estate has been in the current family ownership since 1919. The house has been a much cherished family home, with great character and a warm and welcoming atmosphere. Stories abound of wonderful house parties with guests invited for long lunches, competitive tennis matches and afternoon tea on glorious summer days. The house is an equally inviting retreat on autumn and winter days after a day's rough shooting or exhilarating outdoor pursuits.
Today, the estate of Kincairney extends to 169.87 acres (68.75 ha) and comprises the mansion house situated in a raised position to the north west of the property looking over its rolling parkland to Kincairney Loch below, two gate lodges, one at either end of the private drive, two further cottages suitable for staff accommodation or to let, and associated outbuildings to the rear of the main house, all contained within a ring fence.
Kincairney House is of stone construction under a pitched slate roof. The front, in Georgian style, and the west wing date from about 1835 and are believed to have been added, to an older, probably 18th century building which forms the harled rear. The house is listed category B. The accommodation is laid out as shown on the accompanying plans and is now in need of some modernisation and refurbishment.
The house is approached off the minor public road through a wooden pillared gateway adjacent to the South Lodge via a tarmacadamed, lime tree lined drive which terminates in a gravel sweep. The breathtaking views from the house are principally south across unspoilt rolling countryside and can be enjoyed from the drawing room and principal bedrooms.
On the ground floor the flag stoned vestibule leads into a spacious entrance hallway with an attractive staircase, lit by a large west facing window and leading to the half and first floor
landings. Doors lead off to the drawing room and morning room and to an inner hall which runs parallel. The drawing room enjoys both morning and afternoon light and has a large open fire and leads directly into the dining room which is ideally proportioned for entertaining large house parties. An inner hallway leads to a family room or playroom with the kitchen/breakfast room to the west of the house. It has some fitted wall and floor units and a four oven AGA. In more recent years a garden room and porch, served by an additional kitchen
area, have been added to catch the late afternoon sunshine. There is scope to create a modern kitchen/family living area with wonderful views to the west in this corner of the ground floor. Other rooms on the ground floor include utility room, cloakroom/WC and store room, and a gun room and store offthe dining room.
Stairs lead down to the lower ground floor which contains the main cellar, boiler and tank rooms in addition to a binned wine cellar. Externally there are a number of store rooms including a separate WC. At the top of the first flight of stairs there is a suite of rooms which include a double bedroom with an adjoining single bedroom/dressing room, two bathrooms, linen cupboard and laundry/utility room. These rooms could provide ideal guest accommodation. The principal bedroom suite is situated off the first floor landing and comprises master bedroom with fitted wardrobes, en suite bathroom and dressing room. There are two further double bedrooms, both looking south, with an interconnecting door. In the original part of the house, which can also be accessed from the ground floor via a rear staircase, there are two double bedrooms (one of which links through to the guest wing described above) and a bathroom. Stairs continue up to the second floor on which there are three further bedrooms and a storage room. A short flight of stairs leads to the attic.
Gardens & Grounds
The front of the house has lawns beyond the gravel parking area. To the rear there is a south facing, partially walled garden which has in the past provided cut flowers and soft fruit. Surrounding the lawns are herbaceous borders, azaleas, rhododendrons and mature trees. There are two tennis courts situated in the south west of the garden which require resurfacing and fencing, and a small pavilion.
To the rear of the house there is a loggia with access to three stores, a staff WC, a tool shed and to the cellar. There is also a timber garage and a game larder.
Situated to the north of the walled garden is a range of traditional buildings built of stone under slate roofs which provide storage for vehicles and estate equipment and incorporate two garages, tool shed, store and workshop. There is an adjoining lean-to Timber Store (12m x 3m) with a box profile roof and timber side cladding.
The North Lodge is situated at the entrance to the rear drive to the east of the Stable Block. Of stone construction under a slate roof with a harled extension to the rear, the accommodation is on two floors and comprises a sitting room, dining room, kitchen, two bedrooms and a bathroom.
Laundry Cottage lies adjacent to the North Lodge and east of the Stable Block. Of stone construction under a slate roof, the accommodation over a single storey comprises a sitting room, kitchen, bedroom and a bathroom. There may be potential to incorporate the adjoining outbuilding to provide further accommodation subject to obtaining the necessary planning
The South Lodge is situated at the entrance to the drive. Of stone construction with a concrete block extension to the rear under a slate roof, the accommodation over a single storey comprises a sitting room, kitchen, two bedrooms and a bathroom. The South Lodge, which is believed to have been built around 1835, at the time the house was remodelled, is Category C listed.
Garden Cottage is situated north of the walled garden and to the west of the stable block. Of harled brick construction under a slate roof the accommodation comprises sitting room, dining room, kitchen and bathroom on the ground floor with two bedrooms on the first floor.
Parkland & Policies
Kincairney is surrounded by about 140 acres of parkland which is predominately permanent pasture, fenced and watered for livestock, interspersed with hardwood and softwood trees. Species include oak, beech and ash trees, as well as the lime tree avenue lining the front drive. The grazing land has been let in recent years on a seasonal basis. The rent passing in 2012 was £6,365. There is a small entertaining family shoot which can be enjoyed along with some roe deer stalking, although no formal records are kept. There is a Wild Bird Seed 5 year Land Managers Option Scheme over 9.86 acres which is due to expire in 2014 which enhances cover for game birds. An annual payment of £1,561 is received in respect of this. The private loch covers about 4 acres, and offers fishing for brown trout from either boat or bank. There is a folly for storage.
Property Reference Number: GBEDRUEDR120064
- Sold in September 2013
- Garden cottage (2 bed)
- North & South gate lodges (2 beds)
- Laundry cottage & stable block
- Walled garden, 140 acres parkland
- Sporting rights
- Woodland, Private loch & folly
- EPC ratings E - F
- About 169 acres