Former Lighthouse with Residential accommodation on outstanding coastal headland
Hartland Point is the north western tip of the Devon coastline overlooking the the Bristol Channel. The Lighthouse was erected in 1874 under the direction of Sir James Douglass and was permanently manned until 1984. Since then it has been an automated light. The site is located about 5 miles from the village of Hartland and near to Clovelly and Bideford.
The buildings comprise the Lighthouse together with an attached two storey building and externally a helipad, circulation areas and a hard surfaced access path that leads up the side of the cliff to the gated entrance. There is access over a privately owned road and car park which leads to the County road. The access road to the lighthouse is not considered to be suitable for road vehicles other than motorcycles and bicycles. A UTV is currently used by Trinity House for transport from the lighthouse to the access point onto the site and this is included within the sale.The site totals some 6.6 hectares of cliff and coastline.
Double doors into an L shaped storage area with 2 store rooms and sub-station with access to inner lobby with engine room and workshop and door to the Lighthouse ground floor. There are curving stairs to the tower first floor with a store cupboard. Cast iron ladder stairs lead up to the lantern level. There is a hatchway leading to the external balcony, from which there are glorious coastal and sea views.
The first floor living accommodation is accessed from the tower and comprises a bathroom, steps down to living room, central hall, rear kitchen, inner corridor and 3 double bedrooms. The Lighthouse has a height of some 18m.
Mains electricity is connected to the property. Water is pumped from a bore hole on adjoining farm land. Discharge Licence for sewage effluent granted from the Environment Agency on a restricted volume basis.
The bore hole is subject to a Lease for 21 years from 24th March 2015 at a rent of £100 per annum subject to annual CPI increase
A new access lease has been granted for a term of 75 years from 24th March 2015 at a rent of £2,000 per annum payable half yearly in advance subject to four yearly increases in line with the CPI. This grants a right of way to the Trinity House Land over a neighbouring private roadway, car park and land and subject to conditions. Inter alia the lease prohibits the use of the Lighthouse as a cafe or tea room and restricts future business use undertaken there to the existing buildings.
Trinity House has installed a solar powered LED beacon on the fog signal plinth on the edge of the lighthouse, together with two solar panels a short distance away, allowing the historic Lighthouse itself to be decommissioned.
The purchaser will be required to grant Trinity House a lease of a small external area on which the new navigational light is located. A draft copy of this lease is available from the Estate Agent upon request.
Town & Country Planning
The property is Grade II Listed and within an area designated as being part of an SSSI, SAC, AONB and Hartland Heritage Coast. Enquiries in respect of the Planning matters for the property should be made to Torridge District Council, Riverbank House, Bideford EX39 2QG t 01237 428700.
The property is freehold and will be sold with vacant possession subject to contract.
Viewing of the property will be on prescribed official viewing days only. No children under the age of 16 will be permitted on site. We would advise you that the walk to/from the Lighthouse will be on foot only and can be strenuous.
View payable Stamp Duty for this property
*Currency rates are updated daily at approximately 01:00 GMT | Property Reference Number: GBETRSEXS150134
+44 (0) 1392 455 700