An exquisitely restored Grade I listed Jacobean masterpiece
The Hall is set in rolling countryside on the edge of Howsham, a pretty village between York and Malton. Malton is a busy market town with extensive facilities including supermarkets and many independent shops and restaurants. York is a hugely popular City with fabulous shopping, a racecourse and train station with services across the country. Trains from York to London leave regularly and complete the journey in less than 2 hours.
There are several Private Schools in the area including Ampleforth College ( 18 miles), St Peters, York (12.5 miles) and Terrington Preparatory School (9 miles). There are secondary schools in Malton and primary schools in Foston and Leavening. All with good Ofsted ratings in their most recent
Howsham Hall was built by Sir William Bamburgh in 1610, whose coat of arms can still be seen above the front door. The interior
was significantly re-modelled by Nathaniel Cholmeley in the 18th century, almost certainly under John Carr renowned for his work at Chatsworth, Harewood House and Castle Howard. The grounds were also improved with the advice of Capability Brown although sadly little remains of his work today.
For much if its history the house was in the ownership of the Cholmeleys before it passed to the Strickland Family who sold the house in 1948. In the 1950s the house was converted to a
boys preparatory school.
The house is an important Grade 1 Listed, Jacobean hall on the edge of a pretty village in rural North Yorkshire. Described by Pevsner as being one of the sights of the East Riding, Jacobean, not extremely large, but wonderfully even and complete.
The house has undergone a significant restoration, resulting in a modern family home whilst retaining its historic features.
The property is situated around a central courtyard with the front door leading straight in to the Green Hall a fabulous room overlooking the property's lawn and land. Adjacent to the Hall is a fine Drawing Room with an attractive bay also overlooking the house gardens. In addition there is an original reception room
forming part of the master bedroom suite and elegant dining room. The principal reception rooms there is further supporting accommodation including Mark Williamson kitchen and all the room befitting modern family life. There are 7 principal bedrooms and staff accommodation. To the rear are a selection of useful
rooms that could include a playroom, family room, nursery and gym.
Grounds and Land
The house is approached through two, ornamental stone lodges along a private drive flanked by the property's land. The grounds are largely laid to lawn with some well planted specimen trees and a terrace, accessed from the back of the house, overlooking the river Derwent.
Beyond the garden and grounds are 28 acres of grazing and amenity land. There is a secondary drive from the village through electric gates.
Tenure and Possession
The property is offered for sale freehold with vacant possession upon completion. The land is subject to a grazing licence.
Covenants, Easements, Rights of Way
There is a public right of way along the western boundary from Howsham Bridge to The Watermill.
The fishing rights are owned by the Bradford Number One Angling Association, who access the river from Howsham Bridge and extend from the bridge to the house's boundary.
Residents from Howsham have benefited from permissive rights to walk along the land from the village to The Watermill.
View payable Stamp Duty for this property
*Currency rates are updated daily at approximately 01:00 GMT | Property Reference Number: GBYORSYOS070281
14 Merchants Place
+44 (0) 1904 617 820
33 Margaret Street
+44 (0) 20 7016 3780