Outstanding modern house with spectacular views over the River Tay
Hilltop is situated within an elevated and prestigious residential area, on the slopes above Broughty Ferry. Charles McKean and David Walker in Dundee, An Illustrated Architectural Guide (Pillons & Wilson Ltd) describe the area as once one of the richest suburbs in Europe, it was here . . . that the merchant princes and jute barons of Dundee came to construct their palatial mansions, creating a mid to late Victorian suburb.
Hilltop is within easy reach of the excellent local amenities of Broughty Ferry, including primary and secondary schooling, an ample choice of shops, supermarkets, library, harbour and the Royal Tay Yacht Club. Forthill Primary and Grove Academy are close by. Broughty Ferry is only a short distance from Dundee city centre, which offers all the facilities expected of a major city. Private schooling is available at Dundee High School. There is a railway station at Dundee with services north and south, including a sleeper to London. Dundee Airport has flights to London Stansted. The A90 dual carriageway offers easy access to Aberdeen and to Perth and on south to Edinburgh and Glasgow. Dundee is an established centre of excellence in education and life sciences, and has renowned cultural facilities.
Away from the city, the range of outdoor pursuits is impressive. Over the River Tay is St Andrews, home of golf, while the championship course at Carnoustie is only a few miles up the coast.
Hilltop is, as the name suggests, situated in an elevated position in Broughty Ferry. It sits in the grounds of what was part of Rockhill House, and it was here that the original gardens had seating areas to make the most of the fabulous views up the River Tay to the bridges and across to Fife. It is thought that this may be the highest point within Broughty Ferry. Rockhill House once belonged to the family of Charles Thomson Ritchie, first Baron Ritchie of Dundee (1838-1906), parliamentarian and statesman, as well as being a partner in the family jute firm of Willam Ritchie & Son. The original cottage at Hilltop was built in 1973 and was acquired by the sellers in 1981. It was fully refurbished and extended, first in the late 1980s and then again in the early 1990s, to create the impressive house of today. More recently the two central heating boilers were replaced in 2014, and a new automatic safety pool cover was added to the swimming pool in 2017.
Hilltop is an extremely spacious and well presented house and is laid out to make the most of its position and fine views. It is a harled house with a Mendip' pantiled roof, and is fully double glazed. The accommodation is arranged over two floors. The imposing entrance hall opens up to the sitting room. Like the master bedroom it has French doors to a balcony and as such has lovely views up the river. Downstairs, the kitchen, dining room and swimming pool all open up onto a paved terrace overlooking both the garden and the river. At the upper level is the bedroom wing. Underneath this is the leisure wing, with the indoor swimming pool. As such it is a house that is ideal for both modern family living and for entertaining.
There is an attached garage with two double automatic up and over doors, two Ideal Mexico HE30 boilers and a storage unit. A hatch with an attic ladder leads up to a partially floored roof space. Below the garage is a plant room for the swimming pool housing a Calorex vari heat 1200 heat exchanger and a sink.
Overlooking the garden is a raised paved terrace which links to the kitchen, dining room and swimming pool, and has two sun awnings, as do the balconies above. The garden is enclosed by fencing and a wall and comprises lawn with shrub borders, rhododendrons and trees. A particular feature of the garden is the original seating area known as the roundel, with low stone walls, which was designed to make the most of the views. To the side of the house are two garden stores (both 3 m x 2.4 m), one housing a sink and separate WC. Under the terrace there is a garden store and further store. On the other side of the garden, and linking directly out onto Hill Road is a former garage with a tiled roof which is now used as a further store (2.95 m x 9.8 m). Below the garden is a wooded bank.
View payable LBTT Calculator for this property
Directions: If coming on the A90 from Perth, at the first roundabout at Dundee, turn right onto the A85, signposted Dundee. Continue on towards the city centre, following the River Tay, on Riverside Drive and passing Dundee Airport. From Dundee city centre take the A92 signposted Arbroath, onto Dock Street and East Dock Street, and then continue on Broughty Ferry Road (A930) signposted Broughty Ferry. Continue straight over the roundabout, for a further 1.5 miles on Dundee Road West, Dundee Road and West Queen Street and then turn onto Queen Street. At the third set of lights (the first being at the junction of Queen Street and Claypotts Road) turn left onto Fort Street and take the first right onto Hill Street, then first left onto Hill Road. Proceed up Hill Road and Hilltop is the last house at the top. Alternatively from the A92 (Arbroath to Dundee coast road), at the Claypotts junction, turn onto Claypotts Road (B978), signposted to Broughty Ferry. At the traffic lights turn left onto Queen Street and turn left at the second set of traffic lights onto Fort Street, and proceed as above.
EPC Rating = C
*Currency rates are updated daily at approximately 01:00 GMT | Property Reference Number: GBBRRSBHS170093
12 Clerk Street
+44 (0) 1356 628 628
12 Clerk Street
+44 (0) 1356 628 628