Exquisite, period house with stunning modern additions
Pencaitland House was one of the mansions on Winton Estate which was owned by The Seton family from the 1100s until 1715. Their estates were forfeited after they supported the Jacobite uprising. The Hamilton Nisbets then bought the Estate in 1779. Their vast estates covered most of East Lothian's best farmland and included Muirfield and Gullane Golf Links. Today Winton Castle and Estate is the family home of Sir Francis Ogilvy and is used for private parties, conferences and weddings.
Old Pencaitland House was originally the south wing of the substantial 17th century mansion house. The two wings were detached and linked to the main house by curving walls. The mansion was destroyed by fire in 1876 and only the wings survived.
The present owners bought the house in 2005 and carried out a full renovation. They stripped the house back to the bare walls and re-built with glass additions to create an exquisite modern day home.
All the small rooms in the core of the original house were incorporated into a large kitchen / living / dining room. New archways were created in the elegant drawing room and a sweeping, steel framed fully glazed garden room was added. A spiral stone stairway leads to three, luxurious bedroom suites on the first and second floors.
To the south of the house, on the opposite side of a circular courtyard, a former Brewhouse and ice house were restored as entertaining spaces. A glazed garden room links both buildings with a glazed circular roof to the ice house used as a dining room. The Brewhouse has a long gallery space and stove with a sitting room at the end. The buildings could form a separate living annexe to the main house.
Living room / Kitchen. Georgian open fireplace with cast iron inset. Marble topped hand painted floor units and Belfast sinks with two dishwashers. Four oven gas fired cream AGA. Display cabinets with internal lighting. Oak floor made from salvaged American railway sleepers. Underfloor heating.
Drawing room. Arched windows on two sides. Oak floor. Carved fireplace surround with copper inset and coal effect gas fire. Underfloor heating.
Garden Room. Steel framed with Italian ceramic tiled floor, sliding glass doors and exposed stone inner wall. Uplighters. Underfloor heating.
Door from Garden Room to stone spiral stairs up to landing on first floor.
Master bedroom with carved fireplace surround with coal effect gas fire and freestanding original roll-top bath. Hand printed wall and curtain fabric. Dressing room with full height mirror fronted wardrobes, triple wash basin with marble top and cupboards below. WC.
Bedroom 2 with carved fireplace surround and coal effect gas fire. Full height mirrored wardrobes. Hand printed wall and curtain fabric. Shower room with double sink and marble top, WC, shower compartment. Heated towel rail.
Attic bedroom with open beamed ceiling. Italian tiled floor. Built in wardrobe. Shower room with wash basin, WC, shower and walk-in cupboard.
On the opposite side of the circular courtyard is a former brewhouse which has been converted into an entertaining space with long gallery and rounded sitting room. Exposed beamed ceiling. Caithness slate floor finish and underfloor heating. Whitewashed inner stone walls. Triangular roof lights set into pantiles and stone exterior walls. The building would accommodate a self contained annexe and has been converted with this in mind.
Link Garden Room
West facing glazed link with glass front and roof with sliding doors. Caithness slate floor finish and underfloor heating. Stone finished inner wall.
Circular stone building with structural glass roof. Caithness slate floor finish and underfloor heating. Stone walls.
Utility area with Belfast sink, WC and wash basin. Electric heating and separate gas fired boiler.
Timber clad gardener's store
Plumbed for washing machine and drier.
Old Pencaitland House is set in a private garden extending to about 1.35 acres. The property is divided from the former west wing by a high wooden fence and surrounding trees.
The circular courtyard with its cast iron sugar bowl' water feature in the centre is surrounded by box hedge and specimen plane trees and is a delightful aspect of the property. The brewhouse envelops the courtyard to the south and the sweeping Garden Room design echoes the formal garden.
Around the house are a series of lawns interspersed with specimen trees including yew, sycamore and laurel. The entrance drive is lined with a variety of mature trees and the original stone gate pillars and orbs are particularly attractive.
View payable LBTT Calculator for this property
Exquisite, period house with stunning modern additionsJamie Macnab