A substantial country house offering great potential either as a single, private residence or for numerous commercial purposes, with 2 separate cottages and a coach house with potential for conversion. In all about 16 acres.
Oakhurst Hall is situated on the edge of the ancient market town of Oswestry which has a range of shops, amenities and schools. There are a wider selection of amenities in Chester and Shrewsbury.
There are a number of historical sites including Oswestry Hill Fort, The Old Racecourse, Oswestry Castle, The Old Grammar School, TheCambrian Railway and Offa's Dyke.
The area is well served by a number of respected independent and state schools including Moreton Hall, Oswestry School, Ellesmere College, Packwood Haugh prep school, Adcote School, The Marches school along with Chester and Shrewsbury schools.
Oswestry is well placed for commuting to the West Midlands
conurbation and also the North and West. Gobowen rail station,3 miles from Oakhurst Hall, provides services to Chester and Shrewsbury with connections, for example, to London and other main centres.
Mount Sion originally stood on the site where Oakhurst Hall now stands. It was later demolished and Oakhurst Hall was built in about 1854 by the Venables family.
The family of Venables, originally of Cheshire, became connected with Oswestry in the 18th century; and one branch resided at Woodhill. Oakhurst Hall was owned by the Venebales family until 1946 when it was sold to Shropshire County Council. In 1948 the hall became the boarding house for the Oswestry Girl's High School, for the children of military personnel living abroad. The present owners converted and renovated Oakhurst Hall in 1986 to create a private residence and separate commercial premises.
Oakhurst Hall is run principally as a private house with commercial offices. Our clients live in part of the hall with the main body being used for their business. We have spoken with Shropshire Council who, in principle, would not be averse to Oakhurst Hall being returned entirely to a private dwelling, residential subdivision or commercial use. This might involve such entities as a wedding venue or a boutique hotel.
Oakhurst Hall is an imposing property built of Ashlar Stone set
in a wonderful position offering privacy with parkland views. The property is approached via a long tarmac drive to a parking area in front of the main hall which has parking for up to 30 cars.
The principal residential wing links to the main Hall and has an
excellent balance of formal and informal rooms, ideally suited
for formal and everyday living. Double doors open into the
conservatory with marble tiles. The impressive entrance hall has oak flooring with a solid oak and Mahogany central staircase rising to the first floor. The dining room has fantastic views over the parkland beyond, decorative cornicing and double doors opening onto the terrace.
The drawing room has decorative cornicing and a central ceiling
rose,gas fire with marble surround and a double casement
mullioned window with seat, overlooking the parkland beyond.
There is a further sitting room with a multifuel Clearview stove.
The kitchen has underfloor heating, a central island with granite worktops, large units, integrated fridge freezer, Britannia range with a gas hob and electric oven. A door leads out onto the terrace and decking area.
There is a utility room, store with WC, boot room and a gym with access onto the rear courtyard and further store. This also links to the main hall.
On the first floor is the master suite, which can be closed off ,a door leads onto a Juliette balcony and wonderful views over Oswestry Hill Fort. There is an en-suite with a roll top bath and separate shower.
There is a family bathroom with a shower and a further 4 good sized double bedrooms (1 en-suite shower), including the potential for a further large master suite.
This commercial part of the house requires renovation in places. Having been used as offices for approximately 30 years, subject to planning, it could be used for either residential or commercial use.
The main essence and original features of the house very much remain including the decorative cornicing, original deep cornice, sash and casement windows with original Victorian shutters, original fireplaces, dentil cornice with ornate lower plaster work and an elegant staircase rising to the first floor.
All the rooms are of good proportions with high ceilings and a majority have views over the parkland beyond and Oswestry Hill Fort.
An open plan sitting/dining room, kitchen, WC, first floor with 2 double bedrooms, family bathroom with bath and separate shower. Outside is a small garden area.
In need of renovation, including a kitchen, WC, sitting room with log burner, 2 double bedrooms, Jack & Jill bathroom and outside seating area.
The Coach House
Traditional coach house including traditional stables/stalls with a cobbled courtyard and an open bay barn. There is planning permission for the conversion of redundant buildings to 3 self contained dwellings dated December 2006 06/14760/|FUL
Gardens & grounds
The parkland and formal gardens are predominantly laid out to the rear of the property. A long tarmac driveway edged with estate railings continues past a brick pergola to the side of the property before reaching the parking area. To the rear of the house is a terrace and decking area which leads down to the secluded formal gardens, mainly laid to lawn, flanked by stone walling and shrubbed borders.
A yew hedge discreetly divides the private garden from the main gardens. Within the grounds is a former grass tennis court landscaped into the gardens and below, a coppice mainly with oak trees, some cherry and a rhododendron under story with large ornamental pool.
A feature of the gardens is a laurel hedge in circular style with a pine carved tree statue. A triple garage with electric up and over doors has been recently built.
Along side is an ornamental shrubbery with steps leading to the garden store, implement store and former nursery area.
View payable Stamp Duty for this property
Directions: From the A5 take the B4579 signposted Oswestry, continue until reaching a bridge with the Cemetery on your left where the road forks, take the left fork past the police station (on the right). On reaching a set of traffic lights continue straight taking the first turning on the right signposted Welsh Walls. Continue on this road, past the back of St Oswald's Church (on your right) bearing right before reaching a junction. Turn left and continue on this road before turning right onto Oakhurst Road, signposted Selattyn. Continue for approximately just over half a mile, before turning right into the driveway for Oakhurst Hall.
EPC Rating = F
*Currency rates are updated daily at approximately 01:00 GMT | Property Reference Number: GBWMRSTES150011
+44 (0) 1952 239 500
+44 (0) 1952 239 500