Historic Arts and Crafts house with separate cottage and views over the Gare Loch.
The original Ferry Inn stood next to the main jetty for the ferry which ran between Rosneath and Rhu on the opposite side of Gare Loch. The inn dated from 1800 and was extended three times between 1862 and 1897.
In about 1896 Princess Louise, Queen Victoria's daughter, instructed a young architect called Edwin Lutyens to extend the inn as a private residence. Princess Louise's husband was the Marquis of Lorne, who succeeded his father in 1900 as the 9th Duke of Argyll.
Lutyens was only 27 when he undertook this commission. His design added the part of the house which still exists today. The original inn was subsequently demolished, leaving Ferry Inn and Ferry Inn Cottage which stands as a detached dwelling behind.
The house is one of only two Lutyens buildings in Scotland and is a fine example of the architect's style at this period. Lutyens created a two storey house over a raised basement in the Arts and Crafts style. The house is unusual in that its three main elevations, to the south, east and north, are all very different. The original drawings for Ferry Inn (which included a much grander Baronial style scheme which was not adopted) are held by the Royal Institute of British Architects. The importance Lutyens gave to the scheme and his royal clients is illustrated by the fact that he added watercolour to his sketch drawings.
The many beautifully preserved features of Ferry Inn include the dominant triple chimney stack, the impressive stone entrance hall with its curving roof ends and the arched doorways. There are a variety of window styles at different levels, including outshot windows at first floor level on the east elevation overlooking the sea, arched windows on the ground floor and the near full length windows to the drawing room.
The house combines both quality craftsmanship with superb internal accommodation which is, despite the historic nature of the property, ideal for modern family living. Off the large central reception hall are the dining room, kitchen, study, morning room and magnificent drawing room along with staircases which lead to both the upper floor and the lower ground floor. The kitchen was refitted in 2003 by Clive Christian of London and it is finished to an exceptionally high standard, with multiple cabinets, worktops made of granite and Corian, a central island and a number of integral appliances. A small morning room has a door out to the garden. There is a long landing on the first floor, off which are four double bedrooms. The principal bedroom has its own luxurious bathroom and there are two further bathrooms, unusual for the period, in that they are original to the layout, and include a wonderfully stylish Art Deco style bath / shower room.
The lower ground floor offers further accommodation including a hallway, sitting room and a further bedroom, presently used as a gym, giving five bedrooms in total.
FERRY INN COTTAGE
The accommodation in the cottage has an open plan living room/bedroom and includes an expertly designed kitchen and bathroom.
Below the living space at ground floor level are various useful outbuildings including a boiler room, wood store, workshop and cold store. Additional outbuildings include a tractor shed, greenhouse and garden shed.
Ferry Inn is set in gardens and grounds extending to around 4 acres. This ownership includes around 250 metres of loch frontage and the shingle beach in front.
Formal gardens surround the house, with a gravel courtyard parking area to the south enclosed by railway sleeper walls with trees and shrubs. To the north of the house is a terrace and a well stocked garden enclosed by a thick beech hedge. This secluded garden is an ideal spot for summer entertaining and is reached directly from the morning room.
The grounds to the north of the house are mown parkland, with some fine trees.
View payable LBTT Calculator for this property