Between Toulouse and Carcassonne, along the banks of the Canal du Midi, superb 16th century Chateau with 3 gîtes, outbuildings, swimming pool and more than 5.7 hectares of flat, wooded grounds with century-old trees. Former fortress used in the 1600's as a garrison and then was bought by an Italian architect in the 1700's who gave it that Italian Palazzo feel with superb Italian frescoes, moulded ceilings and monumental fireplaces. This prestigious south-facing property is located in the countryside but only 5 minutes by car from the lively town of Castelnaudary with train station, autoroute access, hospital, etc. There is some local commerce in the nearby village.
The ground floor includes a grand open entrance with a stone staircase and wrought iron balustrade. Off the hall is the spacious sitting room, formal dining room, office, laundry room, kitchen and a bedroom and bathroom.
First floor: 4 large bedrooms 2 with dressing rooms and 4 bathrooms, - Part of the house still needs to be renovated along with the whole of the top floor if you need extra space. Oil central heating has recently been added and there are several open fireplaces in the key rooms. The roof of the main house has been redone along with several other outbuildings. The outbuildings have been converted into 2 x 3 bedroom gites and 1 x 2 bedroom gite. The land is flat, several horse boxes and fenced paddocks to accommodate horses, ponies, donkeys or lamas. 2 wells. Attached to the main house is an orangery that could be restored to a beautiful light space. 2 garages and storage make this property exceptional value.