Updated North Wing of an historic Grade II listed hunting lodge
Historic High Chimneys is a hugely unique and impressive Grade II Listed country house. The North Wing originates from the Jacobean / Elizabethan era (1600s) with later Victorian additions. The property has been recently renovated to provide a clean modern finish whilst retaining all its historic character including high ceilings, exposed timbers, leaded light windows with wooden window shutters, impressive fireplaces and solid oak floors. There is a magnificent original staircase through the centre of the house to all floors. The spacious drawing room is lit with tall windows and warmed by a large open fireplace with wood burning stove. The dining room (a former coach house) has a double aspect with a full height window to the front and opens on to the conservatory and garden to the rear. The kitchen / breakfast room is fitted with a range of bespoke wall and base units with solid wood work tops, an AGA, and separate utility room. The main house offers over 4,000 sq ft of accommodation with another 1,500 sq ft of out buildings.
There are two double bedrooms on the ground floor overlooking the extensive garden and a bathroom as well as a separate and adjoining out room that benefits from the original brick flooring. On the first floor there is a bedroom with fitted wardrobes, as well as a bathroom and separate W.C. The second floor features a wonderful bedroom with extraordinary high ceilings, large windows and fitted wardrobes. There is a further double bedroom on the third floor. There is a cloakroom and large cellar conveniently located at the base of the stairs.
The property is approached via a gravel driveway providing ample parking and leads to a detached triple garage with games room above, suitable for conversion to an office/annex (subject to planning). In front of the house is a magnificent flagstone terrace. There is an established woodland garden to the front with a variety of trees and a natural pond. The large rear garden has been beautifully landscaped to ensure easy maintenance with a pleasant mixture of herbaceous borders and mature trees along with a beautiful walled garden.
Built in 1661, the year of King Charles II's accession to the throne, High Chimneys was originally a large hunting lodge. Originally owned by the Barker family, it was sold to the Haines Hill Estate and then to the Godsal family in 1919. It was converted into 2 properties in the 1960's.
View payable Stamp Duty for this property
A beautiful period property, set in grounds of around 1 acre, close to amitiesCharlie Chavasse