Modern classic living within contemporary gardens.
One of the earliest remaining buildings in the village is the Grammar House. As its name suggests it was originally built as the village grammar school.
Built on the site of two Medieval Yeoman's cottages, (traces of which can be seen in the cellars), the property was founded by an endowment from Lady Cartwright in 1660.
The building work was supervised in the 1660's by Edward Marshall, Master Mason to Charles II, who was engaged in the rebuilding of Park House.
The main school house formed an L shape, to the front there were two entrances, one for the Master, the other for the boys. The first floor would have been dormitories and the rear rooms, accommodation for the Master.
After nearly 200 years, the property ceased to be a school and was acquired by Sir Thomas Cartwright in 1894 (son of Sir William Cartwright, Lord of the Manor). Extended and adapted in 1898, it finally became the residence of Lady Maria Cartwright.
In 1930's Lady Cartwright died and it was in September 1953 that the property was Listed Grade II.
Since then it has been owned by, amongst others, a scientist, who let the property to tenants of celebrity during the 70's and 80's as well as being a family home.
Constructed of squared uncoursed limestone with ironstone quoins and stone tile roof, the Grammar House is a fine Grade II Listed property situated in the Conservation Area of the village.
Indicators of its long and varied history are very much in evidence including an impressive stone sundial dated 1671, when the building was completed, set in the front elevation, main doorway with stone four centred arch and square hood, open fireplaces, exposed timbers, cornicing, window seats, six panel door (similar doorway to right is blocked) and mullion and transomed windows.
The layout of accommodation reflects the home's past use, with formal rooms for social receptions and smaller rooms of practical use.
More importantly is the impressive kitchen/breakfast room with bespoke Heaven & Stubbs handmade kitchen units, marble work surfaces, five oven electric Aga with gas hob and companion, three Fisher & Paykel dishwashers, two Fisher & Paykel multi-temperature cool draws, oversize US style fridge freezer, wine fridge, ceramic wood effect flooring with underfloor heating and central marble island with bar stool seating.
Its age and architecture offers generous ceiling heights and lovely proportioned rooms where ample natural pervades. Conservation approved secondary windows.
Recent improvements include glazed entrance lobby, wooden flooring, re-plastering, re-wiring and lighting, bath/shower rooms and fittings, cast iron radiators, shutters, Thomas Crapper cloakroom fittings, two gas fired boilers, conversion of eastern elevation attic rooms to guest suite with attention to detail with bespoke joinery, sliding doors, under eaves storage and conservation roof lights.
The cellars reveal the oldest parts of the property's history, most certainly part of the previous Medieval Yeoman's cottages, with a former bread oven, and are today useful storage with wine cellar in one room and plant in another.
Two staircases to both upper floors provide spacious living and possibilities for teenagers or au-pair.
There is a restrictive covenant against future development on part of the garden.
The property benefits from high-speed cabelled internet access.
The gardens and grounds are important to The Grammar House and provide a fitting back drop to this grand house with beautiful high stone wall with school gate to the front. Pollard Limes trees and yew hedge line the front and lead to the walled garden which is predominately laid to lawn and walled to all sides. These gardens have been lovingly re-landscaped and are interspersed with numerous flower borders and beds. A fabulous summer house with new decking area faces south, fruit and vegetable beds run the length of the boundary walls with a National Trust approved greenhouse and cold frames. There are long grass areas and central water feature with fountain. Hornbeam hedges divide the garden and line the northern boundary. Lighting and watering systems are in place. Designed with maximum pleasure, minimal effort in mind, the transformed gardens are the legacy of past and current owners and will delight future generations.
Generous stone garage block comprises a double garage and workshop area, WC and generous office over with kitchenette, ideal for working from home or guest/staff accommodation.
Additional garden stores in north west corner of garden include a timber store ideal for larger ride-on lawn mowers and gym.
Ample gravel parking to the front and side of the property. Various terraces ideal for entertaining.
View payable Stamp Duty for this property
I'm always admiring sellers who can create high quality 21st Century living within a 400 year old house. And here it is!Nick Rudge