This historical ensemble of buildings has a long and interesting history, having survived the time from the War of the Crusades to present day.
Engraved into one particular stone, is the year 1080 with a Knight's Cross, evidence surely of the presence of the European Christians passing through during their voyage to regain the Holy Lands. The property currently serves as a family home but offers enormous potential for a commercial activity to host seminars, weddings or any business where vast accommodation is required.
The estate comprises six distinctive buildings: the 12th century Chateau, with its eleven bedrooms and independent three bedrooms apartment; a three bedroom Gate House; the two bedroom Walled Garden Cottage; the ensemble of Farm Buildings in its separate courtyard; the Orangery and the Former Stables. The six buildings sit privately within three hectares of parkland and woods, bordering the Gave de Pau and thereby offering fantastic walking, picnic areas, and fishing.
The Chateau's Coat of Arms, as seen in the stain glass window on the main staircase, under its stone vaulted ceilings, belongs to the Peyrer family, who were confidants and musketeers to the king. Jean-Armand du Peyrer, the Comte de Trèville, was fictionalized under the name Monsieur de Trèville in Alexandre Dumas's novel The Three Musketeers. The Peyrer family's second home, displaying the same family crest, can be found opposite the Chateau de Pau. The stone Renaissance mullion windows in this chateau replicate the ones seen in the Chateau de Pau, which was birthplace to Henri IV, who became King of France in 1589.
This historical chateau has a wealth of period features. In addition to its stone vaulted ceilings and mullion windows, there are oak panelled rooms with period oak floors and internal window shutters; period marble fireplaces with classic Fleur de Lys wrought iron back plates; and the original magnificent stone slab flooring in the entrance hallway.