The epitome of historic architecture in a parkland setting
Lilford Hall Estate is an exceptional residential and amenity Estate, located on the River Nene in the eastern part of the County of Northamptonshire. At the heart of the private Estate sits an impressive Jacobean House measuring 32,406 sq. ft. GIA comprising; Grand entrance hall, 3 reception rooms, 2 dining rooms, a theatre room, a ballroom and 9 bedrooms.
The Grade 1 Listed House has a prolific history, first starting as a Tudor mansion in 1495 and later developed in 1635 into the Jacobean exterior that can be seen today, though the Hall has been altered throughout the periods. At the rear of the Hall are two impressive Georgian pavilions, previously used as the Coach House and the Stable Block.
The Estate has a further three Estate cottages, historic gardens, a number of historic aviaries, a squash court, stables, lakes and an island on the River.
The Estate extends to about 321.31 acres with 148.17 acres of pasture land and 157.48 acres of woodland. There are about 127.69 acres of woodland which is let in a long lease.
The immediate garden to the Hall is situated along the south wing. The stone terrace looks down to lawn which is sheltered by trees on each side and bordered by a stone balustrade. Two sets of stone steps separate the levels of the lawn. At the centre of the Hall is the courtyard which is entered from the back door, down stone steps that lead to the cobbled central walkway. On each side are rows of box hedges and trees which soften the south and north wing of the Hall.
The formal gardens at Lilford are separate from the Hall and are known as the Formal Gardens or the Pleasure Grounds. The gardens were vast and sub-divided into sections; the Children's Garden, The Broad Walk and the Rockery which are arranged adjacent to each other and cover an area of around five acres to the eastern part of the Estate. The thatched summer house of the children garden remains but the gardens are now overgrown.