7 Bedroom B+ Listed Country Residence with Immaculate Walled Garden and Additional Accommodation
Walworth House is a beautiful period property with extensive accommodation located in a private and secluded situation, set on about 8.6 acres which includes 3 listed flankers from the original fortified castle and an immaculate walled garden. The property comprises an abundance of accommodation with Walworth House, an adjacent cottage, a converted barn, and a number of outbuildings. The property provides a fantastic sense of arrival with a sweeping driveway through a flat lawn, bordered by mature trees leading to a central courtyard where ample parking is provided.
Walworth House is a substantial period residence with well-proportioned accommodation which is need of sympathetic refurbishment. This three-storey dwelling has a central entrance door and a total of 5 window bays, a single storey extension in line with the front of main property. This façade faces south onto the flat lawn and driveway and is rendered, with sandstone quoins. The property retains many period features including Georgian sash windows. The ground floor of the property comprises of an entrance hall leading to 2 reception rooms, kitchen, dining room, WC, and Scullery. First floor provides 5 bedrooms of well-balanced proportion and a Bathroom. An additional 2 bedrooms could be provided on the second floor with a further bathroom.
The Walworth barn was renovated in 2006 to an exceptional quality. The extensive accommodation is arranged over 2 floors with the ground floor comprising of an open plan living area, a dining area/sunroom with double doors leading out to the patio area, utility room and 3 bedrooms. The first floor accommodation is accessed via a spiral staircase and comprises of the master bedroom with ensuite, a playroom with a walk-in wardrobe or potentially a further bedroom, and a private terrace seating area accessed via double doors.
Walworth Cottage is a charming 1 storey property adjacent to Walworth House and comprises of a kitchen, living area with fireplace and double doors out to the patio area, a double bedroom and bathroom.
Externally, the property comprises an impressive and immaculate walled garden with water feature and koi fishpond, along with 3 flankers from the original fortified castle from circa 1617-1631, the site of the former garden centre and numerous outbuildings. The property is situated on a total of 8.6 acres which include wooded areas.
There is a significant development opportunity in converting the property into a wedding venue and a copy of the architect's master plans can be made available upon request.
Walworth House is steeped in history and tradition. In 1613, the land now known as Ballykelly was granted to the fishmongers' company by James I. Between 1617 and 1631, the company set about establishing the original castle at Walworth. The original Walworth House comprised of 4 flankers with the original bawn and wall enclosing an area of 1,500 sq. m with the 3 storeys dwelling in the centre. Occupied by Mr James Higgins, George Downing and later, in 1654 by Captain Lane. The only surviving element of the original property are the three flankers of the bawn which have remarkably survived to present day. The remaining flankers are situated NW, NE and SE and have retained their original form.
The estate was leased from the Fishmongers' company to the Hamilton's and Beresford's, with the company regaining possession in 1820. During this time, a new Walworth House was constructed by the Beresford in 1730, however little work seemed to be performed to undertake the upkeep of the property during this time. Barr Beresford flooded the London Committee of the Fishmongers' company with letters of the complaint due to the decaying nature of the property and eventually sent the company a part of the rotten roof.
Eventually in 1820, the Fishmongers' company started to make improvements to the village of Ballykelly by demolishing cabins of the cottier population to make way for public buildings and houses of better descriptions.
The property was altered in 1800 and was further extended in 1900. The property has passed through many generations with the original house being occupied by James Sterling in 1823, Arthur Sampson in 1858, The Ingram family until 1931 and the currently owners the Brown family occupying the house until the present day.
The gardens on the property surround the remains of the fortified manor with the present walled garden designed in 1989.
View payable Stamp Duty for this property