Country house with views.
Baldovie House is a most attractively situated country house, with stunning views over the Basin and to the House of Dun (which is owned by the National Trust of Scotland) and to the hill beyond. It is reported that there has been a house at Baldovie for some considerable time. Records show that Andrew Melville was born at Baldovy in 1545. He was a renowned church reformer and Presbyterian, and is viewed as the successor to John Knox. He was principal of Glasgow University and St Mary's College, St Andrews, and was elected Moderator of the General Assembly in 1578, and again in 1582, 1587 and 1594. Imprisoned for his beliefs in the Tower of London from 1606 to 1611, he died in France in 1622. He is also well known for being taught from the age of 6 to use the glubb for goff thus putting Montrose on the map of early golf in about 1562.
Baldovie House was originally a small farmhouse and is harled with a slate roof and is fully double glazed. It was extended in the late 1980s and in the 1990s, and it was acquired by the sellers in 2008. Since then they have refurbished the shower room, bathroom and the en suite, have redecorated through much of the house and re-carpeted most of the rooms downstairs. In addition the plumbing was upgraded and the hot water tank renewed. It is an attractive and spacious house with good sized reception rooms. The sitting room and living room are accessed directly off the spacious hallway and dining room, making it ideal for entertaining, particularly given that the sitting room, along with the kitchen, has access to the garden. A small office makes it ideal for home working, and with three bedrooms upstairs and one down it is perfect for family living. The sitting room, dining room and kitchen all benefit from the views, as does the principal bedroom upstairs.
A gravel drive with trees and shrubs leads down to a gravelled parking and turning area, adjacent to the house and garage, with a circular bed with a copper beech. A wooden front door opens to an entrance vestibule with a tiled floor and an inner glazed door, with side lights, to the open plan hallway and dining room, which has a staircase to the first floor and an understair cupboard. Double doors open through to the sitting room with a picture window, and with a Hamlet wood burning stove set in a stone wall with granite hearth and display shelves. In addition there are two wall lights, a sliding door to the garden and oak flooring. The living room also has a stone wall with a Villager wood burning stove, together with a beamed ceiling and fitted bookshelves. Also off the hallway is the inner hallway which has fitted and shelved storage units with a hanging cupboard and which leads to the integral garage and to a WC with washbasin with vanity unit and WC and two wall lights. Beyond is the laundry room with fitted shelves, plumbing and venting for a washing machine and dryer and a door to the garden.
On the other side of the dining room is the fully fitted and well appointed kitchen which has wooden wall and floor units with tiled worktops, Bosch dishwasher, sink, display cupboards, Bosch eye level microwave, double oven / grill, under counter Bosch fridge, Hotpoint ceramic hob with extractor, together with French doors to the garden and ample space for informal dining. Behind is the utility room with a walk in cupboard housing a Thermorossi oil fired boiler. The shower room has a tiled shower cubicle, pedestal washbasin, WC and a tiled floor while bedroom one links through to the office with sliding patio doors.
Wooden stairs lead up to the first floor landing. Bedrooms two and three have built in hanging and shelved wardrobes. The family bathroom is timber lined with a bath with shower, washbasin, WC and tiled floor. The principal bedroom makes the most of the views and has fitted hanging and shelved wardrobes and a partially tiled en suite shower room with shower cubicle, washbasin with vanity unit, WC and two wall lights.
The integral double garage has two up and over doors (one being electric) and an inspection pit. Outside there is a former dog kennel and run, which is now used as a screened bin storage area. The main area of garden lies to the north of the house and is a delight. It is enclosed and is cleverly divided into different sections by hedges and comprises lawns, a small pond with a paved seating area, two good weeping birches and a willow. It provides shelter and privacy, and benefits from the views. There is a lovely paved patio linking to the house, together with vegetable borders, a wooden garden shed with a slate roof (3.05 m x 2.4 m) and a further wooden shed (1.8 m x 1.75 m).
View payable LBTT Calculator for this property
The stunning views over Montrose Basin and lovely gardens are persuasive in their own right, but Baldovie House also offers excellent, spacious and practical accommodation (including the all important home office).Ruaraidh Ogilvie