Farley Road, Oakamoor, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire, ST10 3BD | Property for sale | Savills
1,471.30 sq m(15,837 sq ft)
Offers over £1,500,000

Farley RoadOakamoor, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire, ST10 3BD


    Key features

    • 13 bedroom mansion house with two self-contained apartments.
    • Annexe with potential for further development into 2 additional flats.
    • Impressive reception rooms with original features and stunning views.
    • Day centre outbuilding with gym and games room.
    • Stables with 5 loose boxes and tack room with concrete standing for vehicles.
    • Substantial garaging and workshops.
    • About 17 acres in all.

    Grade II Listed mansion house set in 17 acres of landscaped gardens including stabling, garaging and grazing paddocks

    About this property

    • The property was originally constructed as a three storey Victorian gentlemen's country residence which was subsequently extended with late Victorian and Edwardian additions to create the magnificent property that stands today.

      As was the style at the time, much consideration was given to orientation and the surrounding landscape, with every structure within the grounds ensuring at least two other points of interest were in view either on the estate or across the pretty moorlands beyond.

      The property has undergone many different uses through the eras and having been a principal home it has retained its home comforts and not become overly institutionalised, leaving it open to all possible uses in the future.

      Features within the house include magnificent fireplaces, ornate cornicing and a superb scale throughout the principal reception areas.

      The main reception area has beautiful oak flooring and indeed an oak staircase leads from the central hall to the first floor, providing access to a majority of the thirteen bedrooms.

      Given its recent history as part of the Kendo Nagasaki retreat, there are naturally many quiet corners for contemplation and reflection as well larger communal areas used for presentations and social gatherings. The working parts of the property remain as "domestic" rather than commercial, with a traditional family kitchen and utility areas.

      Given the multiple occupancy usage the property has been partially subdivided to create multiple suites within the house and as such there are actually five individual kitchens throughout the property. This provides ample opportunity perhaps to use the property as an exclusive use venue, wedding venue or indeed a family home with additional staffing and support accommodation if required. The property also incorporates two self-contained apartments within the main Hall.

      External
      There is a large garage with power and water and workshop facilities, and enough space for an enthusiast to store a small car collection.

      The annexe is currently under renovation and provides a further 1000 square feet of versatile accommodation. This could be a superb annexe for multi-generational living or indeed should one wish to pursue the wedding venue venture there is scope for intimate weddings and smaller ceremonies either here or in the 'Reception Hall'.

      Externally the property has a striking Neo Jacobean style with stone walls and distinctive fishscale tiled roof. Sitting proudly in its grounds, the property is surrounded by formal gardens, equestrian paddocks and woodlands with far reaching views over the surrounding countryside.

      The current owners have paid careful attention to the outside spaces ensuring many sun trap seating areas and private retreats are hidden within the splendid landscaping. The southern boundary leads to a ha-ha above which is some beautiful ornamental planting with many specimen trees and shrubs arranged in classical patterns, forming the perimeter of the formal gardens which extend to about 5 acres in all. The property is also equipped with an intruder alarm (with the main garage linked), fire alarm and extensive CCTV.

      Internally the property has been well maintained and provides a tremendous opportunity for a future visionary custodian to expand on the fine work of the current owners and establish one of the finest residential estates in the area. The planning permission for the Annexe development includes four bed-sits and four bedrooms associated with a kitchen and common area, and outside social area.

      Grounds
      The grounds include equestrian facilities - beyond the formal gardens lie further fields ideal for horses and ponies, with post and rail fencing and access to stabling with five loose boxes and a tack room. This area has an independent vehicular access meaning that any associated equine traffic does not pass the house directly.

      The grounds also offer a large south-facing Victorian greenhouse and planting-out area, a Victorian 'Summer House' facing the south lawn, and a large barbecue area with wind-breaks among mature trees, which is truly the perfect spot to entertain during the warmer months.

      In the grounds there are also extensive animal pens, and a koi pond fed by spring water from the hills behind the Hall.

      Secluded in the grounds are an outdoor 3-person hot tub in its own covered structure, and an outdoor 6-person sauna.

      Outbuildings to the rear of the property comprise a former day centre with catering facilities, a gym and a games room. Below the gym area floor is a swimming pool, currently covered-over but entirely capable of being reinstated, which has heating facilities and a full cover and swim-jet.

      Historical Note
      Moor Court Hall sits on land originally owned by the Earl of Shrewsbury. It was procured by Alfred Sohier Bolton (1827-1901) for his new house which began on site in 1860. Alfred Bolton was the senior partner in Thomas Bolton & Sons, copper manufacturers of Oakamoor. Formerly owned by the Home Office which acquired the house and estate in 1957, the estate was sub-divided and sold privately in 1985, the Hall being bought in 1988 by ‘the man behind the mask' who established The Kendo Nagasaki Foundation charity on the site in 2015.

      View payable Stamp Duty for this property

    Local information

    • Moor Court Hall occupies an elevated setting on the outskirts of the village of Oakamoor.
    • The area is one of outstanding natural beauty and the stretch of the valley towards Alton has been called England's little Rhineland. The village has a small friendly community with two churches, two pubs, a post office, a primary school and a local bus service.
    • The market town of Cheadle provides other local amenities including banks and a supermarket. Local preparatory schools include Tissington, St Wystam's, Foremark and Smallwood, while nearby public schools include Abbotsholme, Denstone, Repton and Abbots Bromley.
    • The village is surrounded by some of the most scenic countryside in the Staffordshire Moorlands and yet has good access to the M6 (15 miles) and Ml via the A50. Other major trunk roads are easily accessed for links to the North, South, Midlands and beyond. Towns within commuting distance include Cheadle (3.5 miles), Ashbourne (10 miles), Uttoxeter (14 miles), Leek (11 miles), Stoke (13 miles). Burton-on-Trent, Derby and Matlock are also with easy reach.
    • There are main line rail stations at Stoke (13 miles) and Stafford (21 miles) which provide regular services to London (Euston), while Uttoxeter rail station provides access to other lines via Stoke or Derby. The nearest airports include East Midlands (38 miles), Manchester (54 miles) and Birmingham International (60 miles).
    • Local attractions include Alton Towers Theme Park, Uttoxeter Racecourse, the Potteries, wildlife sanctuaries in the Churnet Valley, the Foxfield and Churnet Valley Steam Railways, Dovedale and the Buxton Opera House.
    • (All distances are approximate.)

    Additional information

    • Council Tax Band H
    • EPC Rating: G
    • Tenure: TBC
    • Council Tax Band: H