Savills | Church Road, Walpole St. Peter, Norfolk, PE14 7NS | Properties for sale
3.07 Ac
Guide price £1,100,000

Church RoadWalpole St. Peter, Norfolk, PE14 7NS

  • Under offer

Key features

  • Atmospheric and enchanting
  • Six bedrooms
  • Separate seven roomed cottage
  • Outstanding gardens with fine topiary and orchard
  • Set in about three acres

A magnificent Grade II listed Elizabethan house dating back to the late 16th century

About this property

  • Property
    Atmospheric and enchanting, Dovecote House is a magnificent Grade II listed Elizabethan house dating back to the late 16th century as indicated by a plaque on the south side of the house inscribed 1598.

    A splendid old oak front door opens onto an impressive stone tiled hall with dining room and kitchen off to each side leading to a lovely wide staircase, part panelled and lit by the cupola above, a rather special feature of the house. Of particular note is the large panelled drawing room at the end of the hall with westerly views over the formal gardens and southerly views towards the church over the charming sunken garden. The drawing room's focal point is the magnificent open fireplace with exposed brickwork, stone surround and intricate linen fold carved fluting within the panels, a wonderful example of Jacobean craftsmanship. A similar sized fireplace is to be found in the dining room, hence the impressive octagonal chimneystacks more than two meters high on the east wing of the roof above. The drawing room connects the west wing of the house via a short flight of steps leading to a back hall with access to the smaller sitting room. A staircase off the back hall leads directly to the impressive principal bedroom suite.

    Whilst retaining some wonderful period features, the house also benefits from contemporary touches. All the fitted carpets are new. The bathrooms, four in total including an en suite shower room, have all been refitted. The kitchen including an electric two oven Aga, is handmade in maple with granite worktops, a painted dresser and finished with Fired Earth tiles.

    Outside
    The house is approached by electrically operated gates opening to a driveway passing the main entrance to the house into the garaging courtyard with ample space for parking. The generous garage with power and lighting is brick with a pantile roof and adjoining storeroom. At the end of the drive stands the cottage, also of brick with a pantile roof and extending to 1688 square feet (please see floorplans). The cottage requires complete renovation but offers great potential for a variety of uses subject to the normal planning consents.

    Towards the back of the main house adjacent to the kitchen/breakfast rooms is a walled herb garden that leads to the main garden via a small passageway. On the far east side of the house is the former kitchen garden with uninterrupted views of the church. To the west of the house there is an attractive paved terrace with rose borders and box hedging opening onto a wide lawned area with a rose covered pergola and ornamental pond screened by a large mature yew hedge with topiary. Adjacent is a further lawn with herbaceous border edged by a mellow brick wall. Beyond is an area of informal garden with a variety of mature trees leading to an orchard. The gardens and grounds extend to about 3.5 acres.

    History
    Robert Butler, an Elizabethan merchant, built the house opposite St Peter's Church in 1598. As a benefactor to the church and village, his grave can be seen in the main aisle beside the altar.

    Notable later owners included the Reverend Henry Staveley, Rector of St Peter's and tutor to the royal children at nearby Sandringham (the Queen's Norfolk residence) in the early years of the 20th century. Queen Mary, wife of King George V and mother to the children, visited Dovecote House when she attended St Peter's.

    View payable Stamp Duty for this property

A magnificent Grade II listed Elizabethan house.

Louis de SoissonsProperty agent

Local information

  • Set well back from a quiet minor road. Dovecote House stands opposite the impressive St Peter's church dating from the 13th century. Walpole St Peter itself is approximately nine miles south of the Georgian market town of King's Lynn. The nearby village of Watlington (approximately eight miles) offers a direct rail service to London King's cross (via Cambridge) with a journey time of around 95 minutes. The A10 provides easy access to Ely and Cambridge and M11 to Stansted Airport and London. In addition the A47 gives access to the Midlands and Norwich for the city and international airport.

Additional information

  • Services
  • Mains water, electricity and drainage. Oil fired central heating and two oven electric Aga.
  • Local Authority
  • Borough council of King's Lynn and West Norfolk
  • Council Tax band - G
  • Fixtures, Fittings and Furniture
  • All fixtures and fittings including carpets and curtains (but excluding fire baskets and grates) are included in the purchase price. The grates and household furniture are available to be purchased separately if desired.
  • Directions: From A47 King's Lynn bypass follow the sings for A17 to Sleaford and after approximately six miles turn left signposted to Walpole St Andrew and Walpole St peter (Market Lane). Continue for approximately two miles and turn left into chalk Road and at the T junction turn right into church Road. The entrance to dovecote House is on the right-hand side opposite the church lychgate.
  • EPC Exempt