Secluded regency villa in a majestic setting on the Banks of the River Slaney.
The Deeps (originally called Newtown) was erected in the early 1800s for the prominent MP John Edward Redmond, the great uncle of the more famous John Redmond who led The Irish Party. The house was built at the time as a single storey dwelling to the front with two storeys to the rear, with a striking classical colonnaded façade and veranda, which gives it the air of a colonial villa.
The estate is believed to have historic connections with the Walker family of nearby Tykillen House including Colonel Charles Stephen Walker (1841-1916), Magistrate (and) Retired Colonel of 3rd King's Own Hussars' 1911; and the Lockington family including Lieutenant-Colonel Arthur Esmé Lockington RNR 1889-1962 and Major Derrick Bruce Esmé Garry Lockington MBE.
The Deeps is not only of architectural importance but also of historic significance. A Norman Castle was built upstream at the Deeps, on the edge of the River Slaney in medieval times. Called the Deeps Castle and now in ruins, it is notable as one of the largest ruined castles in Co. Wexford.
The current owners bought The Deeps in 2001 and have lovingly restored and upgraded the property taking great care and attention to retain the integrity of the original house and grounds.
The Deeps is approached via a long avenue and meanders through parkland and woodland to the front and side of the house. The property extends to about 42 acres which gently slope down to the banks of the magnificent River Slaney. The house is eight-bays Deeps, single-storey over garden level (five-bay full-height rear) built in the early 1800s. In 1880 the house was enlarged, producing the present composition.
Notable features include the most unusual magnificent Doric colonnaded veranda and terrace face, sweeping lawns and exceptional views. The shuttered sash windows and windows on either side of the colonnade have Regency Gothic style tracery, which adds to the exotic flavour of the house.
The Deeps House
The house is entered on the north side through an impressive hall door with Victorian coloured glass windows on either side of the entrance. The entrance hall is vaulted in the gothic style.
An elegant pilastered corridor with sprung vaulting that finishes in three oval top lights runs along the centre of the house. Off this are the reception rooms and bedrooms.
The two principal reception rooms, music and drawing rooms are filled with the most stunning light due to extensive floor to ceiling shuttered sash windows. There are a myriad of decorative period features throughout, to include fine plaster work, ceiling roses, decorated panelled doors and architraves, original marble fire places, wooden parquet floors, gothic windows, sash windows, Wyatt sash windows and French windows to the terraces. Also on this floor is a cosy study, a sitting room with French windows to a balcony, five bedrooms (two en suite) and a family shower room.
At garden level, which was once the domain of the servants is now the hub of family life. The original bells to call servants upstairs remain intact. There is a large country kitchen with a Stanley range, fitted units, bay window and doors to the gardens. Off this is a wood panelled breakfast room in the Georgian style.
Further rooms on this floor include a wine cellar, pantry, scullery, laundry, WC, freezer room, an office and various store rooms. There is also a side entrance and an outdoor passage leads to a boiler house, flower room and boot room. The accommodation is beautifully laid out for everyday family living or entertaining on a large scale.
To the rear of the house is a substantial original two-storey coach house, lofted stables, apple & cider house and courtyard. These buildings are currently being used as studios, various workshops and stores but could be put back to their original use or be converted to provide further residential accommodation or business uses (subject to obtaining the necessary planning consent).
There is also a barn for animals, a cattle crush and a large hayshed, tractor shed and wood store, all of which could be used in a variety of ways. The barn is subdivided into gated stalls and contains a small dairy.
BER Details - BER Exempt