A magnificent Grade II listed detached villa on an elevated position in Hampstead Village
Owned by the same family since 1937, this impressive Grade II listed detached house is steeped in history having been significantly altered and extended (c 1884) with a large rear addition and having 'Art Nouveau' and 'Tudor' stone features now fronting the property at the entrance on Lower Terrace.
The house has a magnificent garden adding to the symmetry of the large plot with a beautiful lawned area with mature trees and shrubs set against the original high brick surrounding walls. Internally there are thee substantial floors of accommodation. On the lower ground floor, currently arranged as a self-contained apartment, it has its own private entrance off Frognal Rise. There are the former Wine Cellars and Billiard room which offer potential for a variety of use.
A flexible loft area could also be converted to further accommodation, subject to obtaining the necessary planning consents. Another rare perk for the area is the detached private garage, with roof garden above, which has enough space to park four small, or two very large, cars.
By way of previous owners, respected painter and illustrator Angela Latham nee Gibbons (1894-1980), bought the house with her musician husband Peter M. S. Latham, Gresham Professor in Music (Emeritus) in 1937. The hallway, stairwell and several other spaces on the first floor are decorated with murals depicting abundant nature and scenes from ancient Indian epic poems, with family members used as models. During the war years the house was used as a War Funds Comfort Association depot, stockpiling supplies until they could be distributed to the Armed Forces and to those left homeless by the Blitz.
View payable Stamp Duty for this property
A wonderful property moments from the Village and available for the first time in almost 90 years.Daniel OmellProperty agent