A gracious Grade II*country house in a protected parkland setting, including extensive fishing on the River Itchen.
Shawford Park is one of the finest small estates in Hampshire, with one of the county's most beautiful houses in a protected parkland and river setting in the heart of the picturesque Itchen Valley, and enclosed on almost three sides by clear chalk streams, offering over a mile of exceptional fishing.
The house itself is believed to date from 1685, with alterations and additions between 1912 and 1920 by the architect Herbert Jewell and is listed Grade II*, being of special architectural and historic interest.
Externally the house has stone elevations, sash and casement windows under a tile roof. Internally a series of well proportioned reception rooms, bedrooms and domestic offices, together with a self-contained annex provides elegant family, guest and staff accommodation. Traditional features are enhanced by the benefits of modern day living. All of the principal reception rooms have traditional wooden panelling, fine carved open fireplaces and elaborate architectural detailing such as cornicing, plaster friezes and ornate door and window frames.
Historic associations with Shawford Park can be traced back as far as the 16th Century, at which time it was situated within the Manors of Twyford and Marwell and owned by Sir Henry Mildmay. Sir Henry was, and remains to be, best known for the part he played in the trial of King Charles I and although he was not directly responsible for signing the death warrant, he was still exiled for his involvement. Shawford Park passed to his son, Henry Mildmay, High Sheriff of Nottingham. The property remained in the ownership of the Mildmay family until the mid 1800's when it was bought by General Frederick CB of The East India Company, then by Mabel Morrison, the daughter in law of the eminent financier James Morrison, who at the time was said to be the ''richest commoner in England". Over the last century, Shawford Park has passed through three principal ownerships, concluding with the current owners who have significantly altered the gardens and grounds and built a secondary courtyard and additional accommodation.
It is believed that the stone used to construct the house came from earlier and larger houses and buildings, including possibly the ancient Palace of the Bishops of Winchester at Marwell, although probably originally quarried at Caen in northern France. Substantial alterations and additions were made to the house in the early 1900s by the highly regarded architect, Herbert Jewell. These included adding the formal entrance with segmental pediment, the paved forecourt with granite setts from Aberdeen and the superb Ballroom/Drawing Room and Ante Room, forming the south east wing.
Jewell also added the arcaded cloisters to the north east face of the Ballroom/Drawing Room and laid out the garden terrace, including excavating the original sunken garden which is believed to have Elizabethan or Medieval origins.
View payable Stamp Duty for this property