A four bedroom character property within a Grade II listed former Friary, offering two reception rooms, four double bedrooms, one en suite, all approaching 2500sq ft. with two garages.
The Friary has a wealth of history, it is situated on the site of a vanished house of Observant Friars circa 1507 and then the Austin Friars circa 1554. The property is described in some detail by Nicholas Pevsner in his book entitled The Buildings of England. Pevsner wrote his article prior to the conversion of the property in the late 1980's and describes the building as 17th century in its earlier part, remodelled in 1770 and further alterations carried out between 1868 and 1877.
Externally, a stone archway leads to the front door and in turn, through to an entrance lobby. The lobby lends direct access to a WC and follows on to the ground floor accommodation, comprising;
A snug / family room, offering a pleasant, informal seating area with an exposed stone wall, stained glass feature window and high ceiling with inset spot lights.
A hugely impressive, triple aspect sitting room, spanning some 30ft in length with stone mullion windows, a focal point open fire with marble surround and a dining area to the end of the room.
The kitchen is positioned to the south elevation and incorporates a range of sage green base and wall units, some of which are floor to ceiling cabinets, solid wood worktops, a central chef's island, an attractive stone tiled floor and a beamed ceiling. Appliances within the kitchen include a Belfast sink, overlooking the communal gardens, a Smeg microwave oven, Smeg electric fan oven and space and plumbing for a washing machine and dishwasher. A door from the kitchen leads out to the one of the communal garden spaces.
Stairs ascend from the ground floor entrance lobby to a galleried landing at first floor and on to the bedroom accommodation. The principal bedroom enjoys a dual aspect view with vaulted ceilings, built-in wardrobes and benefits a contemporary en suite shower room, holding two surface mounted wash hand basins, a low level WC and a large walk-in shower enclosure.
Bedroom two is a generous double bedroom with vaulted ceilings, displaying the A frame truss beams, part exposed stone walls, fitted book shelving and two arched openings, leading into the dressing area with wash hand basin.
Bedroom three overlooks the communal gardens to the rear of the property whilst bedroom four sits to the front aspect with a built-in wardrobe.
The family bathroom is fully tiled in travertine and holds a jacuzzi bath with shower over, a low level WC, heated towel rail and a pedestal wash hand basin.
The gravelled driveway leads to an off street parking area, the two garages and on to the extensive communal gardens. The gardens are immaculately maintained and stretch around two elevations of the building, comprising large areas of lawn, heavily planted bed and borders, mature trees and numerous seating areas.
View payable Stamp Duty for this property
The grounds really are a huge appeal of the Friary, they are impeccably maintained and offer a delightful retreat.Luke BillsonProperty agent