Savills | Wells, Somerset, BA5 2UG | Property for sale
Excess of £1,100,000

WellsSomerset, BA5 2UG

  • Under offer

Key features

  • Grade I Listed
  • Accommodation of over 18000 sq ft
  • Currently with office use but suitable for residential or leisure (STP)
  • Outstanding period features
  • Private on site parking for numerous vehicles
  • Secure enclosed gardens
  • Unconditional offers invited for the Freehold
  • Seeking suitable and sensitive redevelopment proposals
  • Immediate vacant possession

A majestic and historic property offering unrivalled Cathedral Views and a myriad of potential uses.

About this property

  • Background
    The Old Deanery is a wonderful historic property which dates back 800 years. It occupies a superb position right in the heart of Wells, overlooking the Cathedral Green and with outstanding views of the Cathedral. From 1222 until 1958, the property functioned as the residence of 62 Deans and in the 1940's, The Old Deanery became the home of the Diocesan Office. In 1962, the freehold of the building and grounds were conveyed to the Diocesan Board of Finance. Between 1987 and 1990 extensive renovation was carried out and the current layout reflects the property's use as offices and an administrative centre. Without doubt and given its rich history, this is a building of national significance and now that the Diocescan Office has relocated, unconditional offers are sought for the whole. Whilst the property currently has planning for office use, it will no doubt be of equal interest to operators in the leisure sector, perhaps a boutique hotel in this world renown city or a residential buyer seeking a unique home with ample scope for ancillary accommodation.

    The Property
    The main building of The Old Deanery is laid out over three floors and over four wings that essentially form a square structure (The Ranges). To the east is ‘The Court' dating back to the 15th century and was home to a variety of offices. There is also the stable block that was latterly converted for office use.

    The South/West Ranges
    The South Range overlooking the Cathedral and the West Range with beautiful views to the gardens both date from the 13th century. In the 17th century Dean Bathurst renovated this part of the property in a Neo-Classical style with magnificent features in evidence and worthy of particular note is the opulent drawing room (the old library) on the first floor.

    The North Range
    Also known as The Gunthorpe Wing and originally dating from the late 15th century, this part of the house comprises several superb rooms and formerly known known as the Henry VII and Margaret (after Henry's mother) reflecting a royal visit in 1497. These rooms are embellished with superb historical detail and a discreet door from one room leads to a spiral stone staircase that rises up a tower to the ramparts above. The great fireplace dominates this extraordinary mediaeval 'Great Hall' room with fine Oriel windows on the North and South walls. Three small internal windows suggest a minstrel's gallery, a lavatorium confirms its ecclesiastical heritage whilst a beautiful stone staircase runs to the ground floor.

    The East Range
    Built in the early 17th century, the East Range houses the main entrance to the building The principle room features mid 17th century panelling, naïve Ionic pilasters around the doors and a stone fireplace dating to the 16th century.

    The Court
    Originally a separate building from the primary house, the court has subsequently been connected to the main building. Further to the east is the stable block that has been converted into comfortable modern and spacious offices whilst retaining many of its original features. Along the south wall and also connected to the main building via an external walkway is the gatehouse flat that is positioned above the main entrance to the courtyard.

    The North Wing
    To the north of the house and attached to the North Range/Gunthorpe Wing is a recently renovated building, with original features dating back to the 15th century. Again most recently used as offices but it would suit a variety of alternative uses given the appropriate planning consents

    Outside
    The Old Deanery occupies perhaps the most enviable position within Wells with its breath-taking views of the Cathedral Green and the Cathedral. A magnificent 200-year-old Beech tree provides shade over formal, attractive walkways below. The garden offers an extraordinary haven of peace and tranquillity in the very heart of the city.

    Please note photography dated Spring 2019

    View payable Stamp Duty for this property

Being entrusted to market this unique building of such local and national importance is truly an honour and I look forward with great excitement to witnessing the next stage evolve in The Old Deanery's rich 800 year old history.

David WildProperty agent

Local information

  • Wells is the smallest city in England. It is known for its beautiful period properties; Cathedral, the moated Bishop's Palace and the Wells Cathedral School. The Cathedral provides an outstanding programme of choral music, with quite exceptional concerts and services, notably at Christmas and Easter. The Cathedral School is one of only three in the UK funded by the government as a special centre of excellence in music. Its choir and music scholars feature prominently in national competitions. It has recently augmented its facilities by opening a £8 million concert hall, which serves both the school and local community.
  • There is a range of shopping facilities including a high proportion of independent shops and boutiques, banks, restaurants, public houses, cinema and churches. On the south side of the city are several supermarkets, including Waitrose and Tesco, all within about a ten minute walk. The market square, adjacent to the Cathedral Green provides a focal point for many community activities throughout the year and in particular hosts a varied and popular local market on Wednesdays and Saturdays. In addition to the Cathedral School, there is a wide range of other well-regarded schools, both private and state; namely the Wells Blue School, and nearby schools, such as Millfield, All Hallows and Downside.
  • The local road network offers easy access to the A303, leading either up to London or down to the South West peninsula. The A367 provides a route giving access to both Bristol and Bath within 40 minutes. The A39 provides access to the M5. The Bath mainline station offers a regular half hourly service to London Paddington throughout the day and when the current electrification scheme now underway is completed, the journey time is expected to be 75 minutes or less.

Additional information

  • EPC Exempt