Grade II* listed manor house and cottage in parkland setting between the West Somerset coast and Exmoor National Park, enjoying far reaching views to the Brendon Hills.
The original part of this striking home date backs to the 1400s at which time it was a Chapel, until its dissolution in 1537. Through following generations there were a variety of "Gentry" owners, including Robert Earl of Sussex, The Stewkley family, Dame Juliana Langham and the Halliday family (1880), whose "Coat of Arms" still adorns the centre gable. During these preceding years the property was extended and the Georgian influence is still prevalent today particularly with its sweeping secondary staircase. In 1914 the Lysaght family purchased the Manor and added a gracious wing of Edwardian proportions which included the striking 106 foot Gallery and adjoining Ballroom (now the dining room).
During its heyday in the late 1960s and 1970s the property hosted fine banquets and dinners, dances, weddings and tennis parties with Fred Perry. Former Royal Guests have, we understand, included the then Princess Elizabeth and Princess Margaret. Today, this distinctive and important country home has been slowly and carefully restored by its present owner who took occupation in 1998. Extensive works have been undertaken to preserve the property's architectural and historical character both within the main house and the adjoining Monks Cottage. Considerable work has also been carried out to the roof of the property.
The East wing, north wing and basement of the manor house, which includes the original Hospice (dating back to 1400), still requires restoration throughout. For further details of the condition of these aspects of the property, please contact the agents.
GARDENS AND GROUNDS
Chapel Cleeve Manor is approached off a small country lane that links the villages of Old Cleeve and Chapel Cleeve with Blue Anchor Bay. The shared tarmac private road leads past the former walled Nursery Garden, which has now been developed to provide private residential properties. The main drive sweeps through the grounds to the front of the Manor House and around to the rear where there is an excellent parking and turning space. Adjoining this area is a large concrete base incorporating an inspection pit. This area 22m (72') x 11.6m (38') has planning permission for a six vehicle garage with storage over.
The property stands in approximately 7 acres of gardens and grounds, which are predominantly laid to lawn running into meadow. There is a large pond with a pleasant woodland walk to one side and a second pond beyond which is a cherry orchard. Along the front of the Manor House is a lovely stone terrace with well stocked shrub borders, from which there are fine views over the adjoining farmland towards the surrounding hills and countryside. There is a secondary drive which runs through part of Chapel Cleeve Park, which is currently unused.
View payable Stamp Duty for this property