Fine Victorian house with south facing garden.
This handsome Grade II listed family house lies on the south side of the road and adjoins University Parks. The house was built in 1866 for Henry Hammons, a bookseller in Oxford at the time, by the architect and builder Charles Buckeridge. It was later enlarged to incorporate a new dining room and staircase wing in 1895.
The house has extensive accommodation arranged over four floors with considerable period detail including leaded light windows, moulded ceilings to a number of the reception rooms, and a fine staircase with stained glass windows incorporating scenes and characters from the works of William Shakespeare.
The rooms are elegantly proportioned, with the feeling of light and space enhanced by high ceilings and large windows. The principal reception rooms face south and overlook the garden, and the welcoming kitchen and breakfast room is ideal for entertaining and family gatherings. On the upper floors are seven bedrooms, four ensuite, and a further bathroom. The lower ground floor consist of a self-contained flat with separate access. It has two bedrooms, a sitting room, kitchen, cloakroom and shower room.
The landscaped garden backs onto University Parks and lies to the south of the house, with a central gravelled area, borders stocked with shrubs and plants, and includes a number of fine mature trees. It is approached from either side of the house or from the conservatory. At the side of the house is off street parking for two cars accessed by automatic gates.
View payable Stamp Duty for this property