A beautifully restored Grade II listed village house set in landscaped gardens and grounds with garaging for up to four vehicles and a garden cottage.
It is believed that Old House dates back to around 1490 and originally had a thatched roof which was replaced in the mid 1920's with tiles. The property once belonged to relatives of the Duke of Sutherland of Lilleshall. Several generations of the family followed each other into the clergy, they then used Old House in turn as their Rectory, and in 1908, the Rev. Mitchell was the last of these younger sons to officiate at St. Marys. It is believed that in 1917 the estate was sold. It is around this time that the property was divided into two houses and in 1949 sold to a local builder who lovingly restored many of the original features and returned to being one dwelling. The owner Philip Snow purchased the other divided cottage and is believed to have paid £600. He had to re-house the existing tenant in order to purchase it as a whole in one dwelling.
Furthermore the detached garage was once the village smithy and the local estate blacksmith lived in part of the divided house. The current owner has undertaken further restoration and improvement work, to provide what is now a superb country house.
Old House is an attractive Grade II listed house offering beautifully presented accommodation and set within stunning landscaped gardens.
The property retains features such as wide oak floorboards, exposed beams and fireplaces, whilst boasting luxurious contemporary fittings such as the under floor heating throughout the ground floor, and a David Orton fitted kitchen.
The gardens are a particular attractive feature, offering year round interest with a wide range of planting.
A pathway flanked by mature trees leads through a lych gate to the solid oak front door. The vestibule with tiled floor leads to the triple aspect sitting room with exquisite panelled walls, oak floor, fireplace with oak beam and staircase to the first floor. From here a door leads through to the drawing room, where the focal point is a large inglenook fireplace with oak beam. There are windows to both front and rear aspects with views over the gardens, exposed beams to both walls and ceiling, and doors to the cellars and the study. The study is fitted with oak storage and enjoys views to the front gardens.
Accessed from the drawing room there is a dining room with exposed beams and quarry tiled floors which in turn leads to the kitchen/breakfast room which has recently been refitted with a shaker style David Orton kitchen comprising wall and base units with granite work surfaces, including four oven Aga with electric companion and further integrated appliances. There is a utility room also fitted with David Orton units and door to the garden, alongside a large cloakroom.
From the sitting room the staircase leads up to the L' shaped landing with wide oak floor, exposed beams and access to the master bedroom with en suite bathroom, three further bedrooms, one of which has an en suite cloakroom, and the family bathroom. A drop down ladder gives access to the attic which has light and power connected.
The property occupies an elevated corner plot with the house situated surrounded by its own gardens. Access through a lych gate to the rear with pathways running throughout the gardens. To the front overlooking the church, the garden is mainly laid to lawn with well-stocked borders with a wide variety of shrubs, trees and plants. There is a walled enclosed terrace with a well, and a Gardener's Cottage having WC and wash hand basin (lapsed planning permission 10/04682/Ful). Set on the rear lawn is a canopied arbour ideal for barbecues. The gardens are exquisitely well planned and stocked with interesting features including rockeries, steps and pathways throughout. A waterfall with a stone bridge over with a wooden hand rail copying that of the oriole window within the property. There is also a large pool (7 feet deep) that has a filtration system, extensive lawns, and a further pool and well.
Large Double Garage
Having light and power and two double doors.
Providing good vehicular parking for two cars, concrete floor, light and power
View payable Stamp Duty for this property
A classic example of an English cottage in a pretty village location.Tony Morris-Eyton