A fine period coach house conversion in the grounds of this elegant Lutyens mansion.
Nashdom Abbey is a magnificent restored Grade II* listed country house standing in about 17 acres of communal gardens and woodland. The Coach House lies on the edge of the grounds in a peaceful setting overlooking woodland, being converted from part of the original buildings it is separate from the main building and has easy access. The house has been improved in the last couple of years offering good sized rooms with excellent ceiling heights and an abundance of storage. Listed building consent has been granted to open up the kitchen/breakfast room to the large sitting room creating a further feeling of space. The house overlooks woodland to the front and its own attractive courtyard garden to the rear, the large windows and glazed doors ensure that the house is filled with light. To the rear of the house there are two garages accessed via electric gates and there is a parking space to the front.
An oversized front door leads into the reception hall with good ceiling heights, an under-stairs storage cupboard and cloakroom with a white suite. Double doors lead into the sitting room which is generous in size with a feature fireplace with gas coal effect fire, decorative surround and marble hearth. There are two newly installed bookcases and the room is flooded with light from the tall sash windows and the French doors leading out onto the private courtyard garden. The kitchen/breakfast room is fitted in a range of high gloss modern units with extra display and storage areas. Integrated appliances include an electric Aga, dishwasher, washer/dryer, Samsung American style fridge freezer and the sink unit has a Quooker hot water tap. There is room for a good sized breakfast table. There is planning consent to move and widen the openings from the hall to the kitchen and sitting room to create a more open plan arrangement.
On the first floor, the landing has a host of built-in drawers and cupboards with a desk area. The principal bedroom has a further abundance of storage including wardrobe space and an under window dressing table, there is further storage/hanging space in the eaves. An en suite shower room serves this room and has a good sized shower and part tiled walls. The second bedroom is double in size and has built-in cupboards and wardrobes to one wall and further wardrobe space to another, this room enjoys views to the front over woodland. The bathroom is fitted in a white suite.
The Coach House has allocated parking in front and a secure gated access provides access to the path to the front door. The courtyard garden is pretty and secluded, full of roses, honey suckle, white wisteria and shrubs offering a great out door area to entertain or enjoy a summer drink. Separate electric gated access leads to the garaging area where the coach house has two garages.
Nashdom Abbey has a full time Estate Manager on site. Nashdom Abbey property owners have a share of the freehold.
Benefits of the property include about 17 acres of grounds and woodland and use of a communal hard tennis court, heated outdoor swimming pool, gymnasium (refurbished in 2014).
In 1898, the Russian Prince Alexis Dolgorouki married Frances Wilson, heiress of Fleetwood and commissioned Sir Edwin Lutyens to build Nashdom (Russian for our home'). In 1929 the ownership passed to a Benedictine Order who lived in and cared for Nashdom as an abbey for half a century until they left to merge with a larger monastery near Newbury. The mansion was converted in 1997 to luxury apartments.
View payable Stamp Duty for this property
Wonderful cottage on the edge of woodland with amazing communal grounds and facilities.Chris Moorhouse