Savills | Sir Gabriel Wood's Mariners' Home & Mariners' Court, Newark Street, Greenock | Property for sale
Price on application

Sir Gabriel Wood's Mariners' Home & Mariners' CourtNewark Street, Greenock


    Key features

    • 43 bed care home within A Listed building
    • In addition, 30 retirement flats with Gross Passing Income of £105,664pa
    • Potential development opportunity, subject to planning consent

    Care Home / Development Opportunity with Rental Income - Closing Date Set - Friday 17th September at 12 noon

    About this property

    • Savills, jointly with Colliers are delighted to bring to the market the opportunity to acquire an impressive Grade A Listed building of historical importance within the desirable West End of Greenock. The site extends to 7.12 acres (2.88 hectares) and comprises a 43 bed care home together with a block of 30 retirement flats which have a current gross passing income of £105,664 per annum including service charge.

    Local information

    • The site is located in the town of Greenock which has a population of approximately 45,000 people and is the largest town within the Local Authority area of Inverclyde. It lies approximately 27 miles west of the City of Glasgow on the southern side of the Firth of Clyde. Greenock has historically been one of the most important Scottish maritime ports, providing docking for ocean liners and merchant shipping.

    Additional information

    • The subjects for sale include Sir Gabriel Wood’s Mariners’ Home, a Category A listed building with rear extension and adjoining retirement flats, known as Sir Gabriel Wood’s Mariners’ Court. The buildings lie on a site extending to a total of 7.12 acres (2.88 hectares) and are set within attractive landscaped grounds, overlooking Newark Street.
    • The main building has operated as a care home for ex mariners and seamen since it was founded in 1850 by Sir Gabriel Wood, a Commissary General born in Gourock in 1767. He travelled the world and held senior posts in North America during the Napoleonic Wars. His family later moved to Greenock and following his death in 1845, his widow and sister, Lady Louisa Augusta Wood and Miss Francis Ann Wood, carried out his dying wish to found a care facility for aged master mariners and merchant seamen within his native town. The building was designed by architect, Robert Macintosh of Exeter and it is now recognised as one Greenock’s finest buildings.
    • The care home was closed earlier this year and is offered to the market with vacant possession.