Savills | The former Plymouth College Preparatory School, The Millfields, Plymouth | Property for sale
Guide price £2,950,000

The former Plymouth College Preparatory SchoolThe Millfields, Plymouth

  • Freehold

Key features

  • Substantial conversion /development opportunity within The Millfields
  • Approximately 1 mile west of Plymouth City Centre
  • Available as a whole or in lots
  • Total site area - 4.5 acres (1.8 ha)
  • Freehold interest

Substantial edge of city centre conversion / development opportunity within an historic setting

About this property

  • The extent of the Property is shown for indicative purposes only edged red on the site plan and extends to approximately 4.5 acres (1.8 hectares). The Millfields Conservation Area Appraisal and Management Plan confirms that the Ascot Building, the Food Technology Centre and the Maintenance Building were constructed between 1900 and 1945. Records confirm that St Dunstan’s Abbey Chapel was built in 1883 and the Sports Hall was constructed in circa 2005. The Seller’s clear preference is to sell the entire Property in a single transaction, but consideration will be given to the disposal of separate lots. Six separate lots have been identified, which are shown for indicative purposes only on the Lotting Plan. Please note that the boundaries of the lots may vary depending on feedback received from bidders and it may be necessary to grant access / services rights over specific lots for the benefit of others.

Local information

  • Plymouth is a vibrant waterfront city known for its maritime heritage. The City has a population of approximately 260,000, making it the largest City in the South West of England after Bristol.
  • The former Plymouth College Preparatory School is located approximately 1 mile west of the city centre, within the well-known Millfields Estate. It originally formed part of the Royal Naval Hospital, which occupied the site from 1758 – 1995. The majority of The Millfields, which borders the Property to the north and west, has been converted and redeveloped since the closure of the hospital and now provides a range of residential and commercial uses.
  • The Property benefits from three existing points of access through The Millfields from the north-west, the west and the south-west, as identified A, B and C, respectively, on the site plan. Craigie Drive is the principal private road through the Estate, providing access to Clarence Place, which is an adopted highway.

Additional information

  • Lot 1 is the Ascot Building. It is situated in the centre of the site and is a detached property which provides approximately 39,663 sq ft (3,685 sq m) gross internal area over three floors. It is proposed that Lot 1 will include the road and the existing parking spaces located at the rear of the property, together with the adjacent raised terraced area to the north. The principal access for Lot 1 will be from the north-west, via access point A, but the western access (access point B) may also be used on a limited basis and for emergency purposes.
  • Lot 2 is the School Playing Field which is situated to the south of the Ascot Building and extends to approximately 1.58 acres. It is proposed that this land will be sold subject to an overage provision to capture a proportion of any uplift in value achieved in the event that planning permission is secured for development in the future.
  • Lot 3 is the Sports Hall which is situated in the south western corner of the site. It extends to approximately 7,603 sq ft (706 sq m) and comprises 2no. separate changing areas with toilets, 2no. offices, 2no. store rooms, a workshop and a full height sports hall.
  • Lot 4, the Food Technology Centre, is a single storey, octagonal building, situated to the north west of the Ascot Building. It provides an open plan space and extends to approximately 601 sq ft (56 sq m).
  • Lot 5, The Chapel, formerly known as The Church of the Good Shepherd, is a Gothic style, Grade II listed building situated to the north of the Ascot Building. The building comprises approximately 3,252 sq ft (302 sq m) gross internal area on a single floor, although there is a small basement. It consists of a large congregational area with a semi-circular chancel at the eastern end.
  • Lot 6, the Maintenance Building, is a single storey octagonal building, situated to the north west of the Chapel. It comprises an office, store room and workshop and extends to approximately 601 sq ft (56 sq m) gross internal area.