Impressive family home with exceptional mature, tiered and landscaped gardens of about 1.4 acres. A true oasis in the city.
Located in an elevated and commanding position on the bank of the River Don, the house immediately to the west is historic Thomas Glover House. The origins of the house begin between 1800 and 1820 (listed in the Census 1820) where a cottage was built into the walls that surround the gardens. The house was enlarged in 1880 upon being gifted as a marriage settlement. All the wood in the front extension is Baltic pitch pine including the main staircase. There are three open fireplaces within the main reception rooms with a wood burning stove in the sitting room. In abundance are period features including high ceilings, wooden flooring, dado rails, column radiators, elongated bay windows, working window shutters, bookcases, panelled doors and picture rails.
This substantial detached granite and slate house must be one of Aberdeen's best kept secrets.
It is an absolute oasis in the city with cultivated, tiered and landscaped gardens providing peace and tranquillity. A large entrance vestibule has tiled flooring and glass doors flood light into the reception hallway. The split level drawing room is extremely elegant and bright with a feature archway, dual marble fireplaces and bay window with window seat overlooking the front garden. Double side doors flank a fireplace with garden access. With its intricate wooden carved fire surround with open fire and bay window, the dining room is formal yet inviting. The family room is perfect for relaxed living with twin aspect windows and a log burner within a marble fire surround. A substantial staircase with carpet runner and brass stair rods leads to a large landing with an opaque window and skylight. The principal bedroom has triple aspect windows overlooking the front garden, an alcove and shelving. En suite is a large shower enclosure, Heritage white wash basin and WC, chrome ladder towel rail and window with a garden view. There is a comprehensive range of wardrobes incorporating hanging and shelf space and original built in drawers.
Double bedrooms two, three, four and five are serviced by a family bathroom, a feature of which is the roll top free standing bath with ornate feet and separate shower enclosure. The ground floor rear inner hall offers good under stair storage cupboards. For everyday tasks there is the laundry room with fitted units. This room is home to a Nordic sauna and separate shower and w.c has a stained glass panelled door.
At the heart of the home is the dining kitchen fitted with hand made ash wood cabinets incorporating glass fronted dresser style units. These are complemented by black granite worksurfaces and tiled splashbacks. There is an island with storage and seating at one end and ample space for a further dining table. French doors lead into the side garden. A more self contained aspect to the house is the side vestibule with striking black and white chequered tiled flooring and cloakroom with WC and wash hand basin. The rear internal hallway gives access to bedroom six with dual aspect windows. The library with bay window overlooking the side garden has a decorative cast iron open fireplace and charming arched glass fronted bookcases. A wooden staircase with garden views leads to bedroom seven which overlooks the courtyard. Adjacent is a fully tiled bath with over bath shower, making this part of the house ideal for guests.
Constructed of granite and slate, this was the original stable block with double doors and windows to the courtyard and would be ideal as a garage. Stairs lead up to the hay loft area, which is fully floored with light and power.
Former coach house of brick and timber construction with a pitched and slated roof. Currently used as a workshop area with power and light and a side area with secured outside storage.
The grounds are bounded by large sections of stone and brick walls to the front and side and a low stone wall fronting onto the River Don which has metal railings. Tiered over many levels the garden grounds have a flow of terraces, borders, lawns and ornamental flower beds which have been carefully cultivated and landscaped over the 16 years of current ownership. There are a number of mature trees and shrubs and a variety of seating areas to enjoy the ultimate alfresco experience.
A sweeping horseshoe driveway is enclosed by large metal gates and leads to a lock block courtyard with parking and turning for numerous vehicles.
View payable LBTT Calculator for this property