A CONTEMPORARY STYLE HOME, BRUCKLAY CASTLE RUINS, WELL APPOINTED EQUESTRIAN FACILITIES & CIRCA 79 ACRES OF PARKLAND, WOODLAND AND PASTURES
Maud (Gaelic: Am Mòd) is a small town in the Buchan area of the Scottish county of Aberdeenshire. Located 13 miles west of Peterhead on the South Ugie Water. Maud rose to prosperity in the nineteenth century as a railway junction of the Formartine and Buchan Railway line that ran through Maud to Fraserburgh and Peterhead, but has always been the meeting place of six roads. It has had a variety of names: Bank of Behitch, Brucklay. New Maud, the 'New' having since fallen out of use, leading to the town's current name.
Maud features an old railway station which closed to passengers in 1965. Walks can be taken along the old railway lines which now form part of the Formartine and Buchan Way, the railway tracks were removed following the ending of freight trains in 1979. There was a mart or livestock market until recently, selling local livestock. There is also a hospital for the elderly, which was formerly a poorhouse that opened in about 1868.
A modern complex in the centre of the village houses a cafe, community centre, gym and other facilities; the old town hall, a few minutes walk from the new complex, is also still in regular use by community groups. The village also has a small parade of shops.
The hamlet of Kirkhill Pendicle to the south of Maud has a weather station which features prominently in Met Office weather maps for Aberdeenshire.
Peterhead was founded by fishermen and was developed as a planned settlement. In 1593 the construction of Peterhead's first harbour, Port Henry, encouraged the growth of Peterhead as a fishing port and established a base for trade. A lifeboat station was first established in 1865. A new phase of growth was initiated in the 1970s with Peterhead becoming a major oil industry service centre, and the completion of the nearby St Fergus gas terminal. At this time, considerable land holdings were allocated for industrial development. it retains a relatively diverse economy, including food processing, textiles, service industries and, still importantly, fishing.
Constructed in 2004 with a slate roof Castle Park House was built to an exacting specification for the current owners. Most of the rooms capture good natural light and the polished finished woodwork to the staircase with decorative spindles, balustrade, door frames, door and skirting boards are of the highest quality. Well thought of is the abundance of storage space, providing extensive hanging and shelf space throughout. The kitchen has luxury fitted cabinets and the contemporary shower room and bathrooms have white sanitary ware and mains showers.
A corner vestibule with side windows leads into the welcoming hallway. Accessed via French doors is more formal sitting room which has triple aspect windows and further window, with the focal point being a multi burner stove. Casual relaxation space is catered for with the delightful conservatory with patio doors opening into the garden. French doors open into the striking kitchen with a comprehensive range of custom built hand made cabinets with contrasting worksurfaces. Informal dining is catered for with a central island and a feature is the Rayburn oven. Useful access direct into the garden is the utility room for everyday laundry tasks. Two bedrooms are located on the ground floor and one is currently used as an office. To complete the ground floor is a cloakroom with WC and wash hand basin. A large first floor landing leads to two double bedrooms and the family bathroom is enhanced with a free standing roll top spa bath and twin wash hand basins. The final and principal bedroom has an en suite shower room with over sized shower enclosure.
View payable LBTT Calculator for this property
*Currency rates are updated daily at approximately 01:00 GMT | Property Reference Number: GBABRSCLI665385
5 Queens Terrace
+44 (0) 1224 971 110
5 Queens Terrace
+44 (0) 1224 971 110