Impressive 1913 built country residence steeped in local Liberty family history set within beautifully landscaped gardens with adjoining paddocks and stables.
Pipers, an impressive 1913 built country house, offers a wealth of charm and character steeped in local Liberty family history.
The house is set within beautifully landscaped formal gardens together with adjoining paddocks and stables. At the entrance there is the landmark Grade II listed figure head of Admiral Lord Howe taken from the Navy's last wooden warship.
The ground floor layout is spacious and adaptable for both a modern day family lifestyle and more formal entertaining; the magnificent drawing room is worthy of special mention with its vaulted roof, galleried windows on either side and feature stone fireplace. Leading off the drawing room in wings is a pretty sitting room with study area and the dining room with an attractive rounded bay window.
The family sized kitchen/breakfast/family room, superbly fitted with an extensive range of bespoke units has granite worktops and incorporates an Aga with hob. The informal dining area, featuring a hand crafted dresser, has at the far end a cosy sitting area with doors overlooking the patio. Doors lead to a study and a rear hallway leading to the utility/boot room and large TV/play room. A cellar accessed from the hall provides ideal wine storage.
Upstairs there are a total of seven bedrooms with the smallest currently used as a dressing room. The two principal bedrooms are in the wings, both with internal windows by their doorways, which overlook the vaulted drawing room. They both have spacious well-appointed en suite bathrooms. The remaining bedrooms are served by two further bathrooms, one en suite to bedroom four which also has a mezzanine platform.
Gardens and Grounds
An undoubted feature is the wonderful gardens and grounds beautifully landscaped with areas of lawn interspersed by well stocked flower beds with neat hedges and dwarf walling. The centre piece is an idyllic ornamental pond and waterfall. There is a Victorian style greenhouse as well as sheds and summer houses together with a productive vegetable and soft fruit garden. Within the rear garden there is an enclosed hard tennis court and to the side a heated swimming pool. The house is approached via electric entrance gates where the Admiral Lord Howe figurehead is prominently sited with a sweeping gravel drive flanked by staddle stones with plenty of parking and turning space in front of the house. There is an oak framed triple bay garage (one open) with an external staircase leading to a useful studio/annexe with en suite bathroom above. Within the enclosed courtyard there is a second oak framed carport with attached tractor mower and garden store.
To the side, just outside the main entrance is a track and public footpath that leads to the stables, tack room, two bay tractor and horsebox barn with post and rail paddocks and 40m x 20m ménage in total approx. 3.6 acres. One of the many bridle ways in the area skirts one of the boundaries.
The Liberty History and Influence
Arthur Liberty was born in Chesham, Buckinghamshire in 1843 and was first employed in a shop in Regent Street, London. In 1875, with a loan from his future father-in-law, he leased his first shop, opposite his employers and within 18 months he had acquired 218 Regent Street, now the world famous Liberty store. Arthur frequently visited his grandparents at Chartridge Farm and with his new found wealth he moved into the Manor House at The Lee in 1890, owning the estate by 1898. As Lord of the Manor he extended the estate to cover over three thousand acres, stretching well beyond the parish boundaries encompassing twelve working farms, many houses, cottages and public houses. His influence and wish for improvements to the village included fresh water pumped from the Missenden valley, with many visual reminders such as the Queen Victoria Diamond Jubilee Well, on the green and the Cock & Rabbit village pub, built in1907 still remaining to this day. Arthur Liberty died in 1917 having built Pipers for his nephew and eventual heir, Ivor Stewart-Liberty.
The Admiral Lord Howe Ship Figurehead at the entrance to Pipers is the local landmark, the Grade II listed wooden figurehead of Admiral Lord Howe taken from the Navy's last wooden ship originally called HMS Howe, dated 1860. The ship never saw sea service and was renamed at various times as HMS Bulwark and HMS Impregnable. It remained at Devonport as a training ship before being broken up in 1921 with many of the timbers used for the mock Tudor extension to the Liberty store in London. The figurehead was brought by Ivor to be sited at the entrance to Pipers where it has remained ever since. The current owners of Pipers have carried out major restoration works including the pitched roof shelter allowing local residents and tourists to enjoy its magnificence.
View payable Stamp Duty for this property
Pipers has an interesting history including the Grade II listed figure head from the Navy's last wooden warship and provides an impressive country house proposition.Nick Pounce