An impressive Georgian village house.
South Lodge is a fine house situated at the southern end of this popular village close to excellent communication routes to Cambridge and London via both road and rail. Built in 1820, extended and altered in 1837 and also in more modern times.
The house is constructed of Cambridge buff bricks with wide double hung sash windows under a Welsh slate roof. The symmetrical front elevation has a classic stone porch supported on Corinthian columns. The sash windows have pretty external shutters to either side. Internally, the house has proportions typical of the period with high ceilings, cornicing, deep skirtings, quarter cut oak wooden floors, working shutters and a lovely tiled central hallway running from front to back. The main drawing room has a centrally placed bay window with sash windows, beneath which is a curved window seat. There is a working open fireplace here as well as in the elegant dining room across the hallway, the Snug" sitting room behind has a wood burning stove installed. At the end of the hallway there is a morning room, currently being used as a study, and a downstairs cloakroom. The elegant double return oak staircase is located at the end of the hallway.
The kitchen/ breakfast room has an attractive deep bay to one end and features a range of painted wooden units with extensive granite work surfaces, integrated appliances and an inbuilt larder cupboard. There is an electric Aga with adjacent electric module cooker and twin deep glazed sinks. The adjacent large utility/laundry/boot room has a full range of fitted cupboards including four floor to ceiling units, large work surface and sink.
At first floor level there are five bedrooms and three bath/shower rooms, two of which are en suite. The larger bathrooms have double width showers with rain forest power showers, roll top baths, Lefroy Brooks sanitary
ware and electric underfloor heating. A further flight of stairs leads up to the sixth bedroom suite which includes a large bed sitting room, en suite shower room and a walk-in wardrobe.
Beneath the ground floor are extensive dry cellars, one containing the oil fired central heating boiler, while the others were originally used as kitchen and domestic offices for the original 1820 house.
The full accommodation is shown in more detail in the attached floor plans.
South Lodge is set well back from the roadside grass verge behind which are cast iron railings mounted between individual brick piers. To either side of the plot are wrought iron gates leading into the in-out carriage driveway which gracefully meanders through trees up to the front of the house passing neat lawned areas and stone bollards linked by chains.
The driveway leads up to a five bar gate to the gravelled courtyard at the side of the house. Here is located access to the former Georgian coach house which also incorporates a stable and workshop at ground floor level and an office accessed via an external staircase. The rest of this building has been converted into a two bedroom separate cottage with a sunny open plan reception room with kitchenette and bathroom. The other two bedrooms are at ground floor level and there is a vaulted games/TV/music room with accent lighting above, accessed via stairs.
There is a large garage with power and mains water with space for up to 10 cars accessed through four barn-style double doors. Above the garages, accessed by a staircase via a lobby at the front of the building, is the Mews containing two good sized rooms, one currently being used as a gym. A cloakroom, kitchenette with large walk-in cupboard, spacious common areas' and a further large billiard room all benefit from oil fired central heating. The whole building would form a very appealing further separate living area or large entertainment/leisure suite to complement the house. The building also has three phase power.
The extensive grounds are beautifully mature and include many mature trees and specimen trees belts with clipped topiary hedges and box balls together with a copse at the rear backing onto farmland. There is a woodland path which passes around the edge of the property through the belts of trees that sit along the boundaries. Close to the house and coach house is a deep lawn and York stone terrace ideal for entertainment with a feature raised Koi Carp pond. The property also has brick built outbuildings and a heritage style Hartley Botanic greenhouse with hardstanding patio.
In all about 3.06 acres STS
View payable Stamp Duty for this property
The wonderful tall ceilings are really impressive upon entering South Lodge, period features and modern practicality all marry together to produce a very appealing and special property not to mention the amazing modern outbuilding which is a must for a keen car enthusiast!Lucy Banks