Breckey Ley

Nowton, Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk, IP29 5LT
£1,830,000   Guide price (£1,830,000 )

Description

A superbly positioned house and cottage set in mature gardens and parkland

Location

1.5 miles Bury St Edmunds centre
1.5 miles A14 (Junction 44)
32 miles Cambridge
80 miles London

Breckey Ley (formerly called Brakeley House) forms part of the wider Nowton Estate. This was in the ownership of the Oakes family for over 150 years. Breckey Ley was built around 1880 as the dower house for Nowton Court and occupied by the family ever since.

LOT 1 – Breckey Ley

Coloured red on the plan and extending to 12.146 hectares (30.01 acres)

Main House

Breckey Ley is a substantial house extending to over 5,700 sqft and thought to date from around 1880. The house is approached via a drive leading from Nowton Road. The drive continues into a gravel sweep to the front of the house.
The front door leads into a vestibule and then a lobby and into the hall with block wooden flooring, a wood burner and attractive archways. The hall provides the principal focal point of the house with a door through to the drawing room featuring an ornate timber fireplace with a marble surround. French doors lead out to the garden to the south-east. Also leading from the hall is a cloakroom with a hand basin.

The sitting room or study features a bay window and a brick fireplace. Across the hall is the dining room, again with a bay window facing south-east and a service hatch through to the kitchen.

Off the hall leading towards the kitchen is a useful storage cupboard which houses the alarm system. The kitchen features original service bells, fitted cupboards and a disused fireplace. Leading from the kitchen is a utility room housing the boiler, electricity meter and back door to the courtyard and outbuildings. A butler's pantry with a sink and a larder with fitted shelving and a meat locker lead off the utility room.

From the hall is a door to the garden, a WC and the stairs down to the well maintained dry cellars which divide into 3 storage areas.

The staircase leads to the central landing giving access to the master bedroom with a dressing room and a bathroom. The adjacent bedroom also has a dressing room and currently shares a bathroom with the master bedroom.

There are a further 2 bedrooms which lead from the landing and a family bathroom.

A door gives access to the stairs up to the second floor where there are a further 4 bedrooms accessed from a central landing with a further storage room with a housemaid's sink and a cold water storage tank.

Gardens and Grounds

To the rear of the house is an area laid mainly to lawn surrounded by well-maintained flowerbeds and mature trees and shrubs including magnificent cedars and other conifers and hardwoods. Leading further from the house is a tennis lawn which was used as such until about 6 years ago.

The tennis lawn is partially bordered by a Beech hedge There is a covered swimming pool in need of restoration, a large vegetable garden and a hard tennis court.

Beyond the garden is an area of parkland which is bordered by mature woodland giving the property as a whole a secluded and private feel. The parkland is let to a local grazier on a short term basis whilst the woodland has been continuously managed on an ad-hoc basis.

Outbuildings

To the south-west of the house is a brick-built range of buildings under a slate roof with 2 loose boxes, a tack room and a carriage store, above which is a storage loft. There is a separate garage for one car. Adjoining the house is a fuel store and garden shed with an outside WC.

LOT 2 – The Lodge

Coloured blue on the plan and extending to 0.059 hectares (0.15 acres)
Located on the driveway before reaching the main house is a brick and flint cottage under a slate roof known as The Lodge and thought to have been built as a staff cottage at a similar time to Breckey Ley.
The accommodation on the ground floor comprises a kitchen, dining room, sitting room and a bathroom. Upstairs there are 2 bedrooms.
Outside is a garden and a parking area. If The Lodge is sold separately to Breckey Ley, a right of access will be granted along the drive.

LOT 3 - The Paddock

Coloured Green on the plan and extending to 19.374 hectares (47.84 acres)

Located to the south of Breckey Ley Park and comprising fenced grassland interspersed by numerous specimen parkland trees bordered by woodland and with access from Nowton Road and Fox Pin Lane.

The land is let under the same short term agreement to the same grazier as the parkland in Lot 1.

View property on map »

Further Information

For more information about this property, please download the pdf brochure or contact Savills to request a copy of the brochure by post or email.

View payable Stamp Duty for this property

Area Guide

Directions: When travelling along the A14, turn off at Junction 44 and onto the A134 heading into Bury St Edmunds. Continue straight over the first and second roundabouts before turning left onto Nowton Road at the third roundabout. Continue along Nowton Road for approximately 1/2 a mile and the turning for Breckey Ley is on your right immediately after South Lee School.

EPC Rating = G

Availability

Energy Performance

*Currency rates are updated daily at approximately 01:00 GMT | Property Reference Number: GBCARUCAR180002

Contact Property Agent

Oliver Carr

Savills Cambridge

Unex House

132-134 Hills Road

132-134 Hills Road

CB2 8PA

+44 (0) 1223 347 000

Adrian Wilson

Savills Cambridge

Unex House

132-134 Hills Road

132-134 Hills Road

CB2 8PA

+44 (0) 1223 347 000