A handsome & beautifully restored mansion house set amidst rolling park like grounds
Charlton Court is a handsome Grade II Listed country mansion house which occupies a wonderful elevated position with panoramic views south and westwards over the weald of Kent.
Originally dating from 1612, Charlton Court was designed by one of the earliest known British architects, John Thorpe, for Sir Edward Filmer the High Sherriff of Kent. The house, although never fully completed, remained in the Filmer family until the First World War, however their residency remains evident with the various plaques and Filmer Coat of Arms that grace the external elevations. Following a series of 19th century additions, the house was converted into a school which finally closed its doors in July 1992.
The property has undergone an extensive and sympathetic programme of refurbishment, with an abundance of period details being retained whilst luxurious features/aspects have been added, not least the wonderful Indoor/Outdoor swimming pool. The accommodation amounts to an impressive 14,800 sq ft which includes an excellent cellar with some natural light and the indoor pool complex. Points of note include:
- High ceilings with ornate cornicing and plaster work, oak panelling and intricately carved oak/mahogany doors depicting Faith, Hope and Charity to several reception rooms, encaustic tile and flagstone flooring, period style radiators and under floor heating.
- Lutron lighting and a Sonos music system with integral speakers and individual wall mounted controls feature to the majority of rooms.
- Principal reception rooms, situated off the main reception hall, are of excellent proportions and feature beautiful fireplaces and enjoy vistas over the gardens and grounds.
- The bespoke kitchen has been recently updated and is equipped with an extensive range of cupboards. Appliances include a gas fired Aga and electric Companion, Miele oven and steam oven, microwave, two dishwashers, sub zero fridge, fridge drawers, freezer,fridge/freezer and wine cooler and integral coffee machine. The kitchen is open to the adjoining breakfast room and combined they provide an excellent family entertaining space.
- The conservatory, with bifold doors to an outdoor terrace, continues through to the gym and ultimately the superb Indoor/Outdoor swimming pool complex where there is an 84 ft (25.66m) heated pool, wet room and pool plant room.
- An impressive turned oak staircase gives access to the galleried landings and two further floors.
- Nine attractive bedrooms together with eight bath/shower rooms, six being en suite are arranged over the first and second floors. The principal bedroom suite is a lovely light room with far reaching views, there is a dressing room and luxuriously fitted bathroom with bespoke hand laid mosaic marble flooring. The remaining bath/shower rooms feature high quality sleek white sanitary ware.
GARDENS, GROUNDS & OUTBUILDINGS
Charlton Court is approached via electronically operated wrought-iron gates. Mature horse chestnut trees line the driveway to the south west, which culminates in a turning circle at the front of the house.
The expansive grounds provide an outstanding setting, lying mainly to the north east and south east of the house. Steps lead down from a wide terrace to an area planted with box parterre, gently sloping lawns interspersed with an array of indigenous trees stretch away to a professional full size football pitch, a field and an area of mixed woodland. To the north east is a substantial walled garden planted with a variety of fruit trees.
A detached triple garage block with three separate sets of electric roller shutter doors has power and light connected, above is a substantial store room with shower which could be utilised as a self contained studio.
View payable Stamp Duty for this property