Elegant late Georgian Country House on the edge of the Brecon Beacons
Glan Wysc is an elegant Grade II Listed late Georgian Country House standing proudly along the banks of the River Usk. It was originally a much smaller house, being only the central part of the current house, and was built in 1822 for a Mr John Christie who was the owner and builder of the nearby tramroad depot that created the village of Sennybridge. Over time the house was enlarged with significant additions on both wings that included a grand oval drawing room on the south side of the house encircled with an elegant veranda. John Christie was made Sheriff of Breconshire in 1822 and this drawing room may have been planned for the entertaining of his important guests.
According to the British Listed Buildings website, Glan Wysc is a Gentry house, also known as Glanusk, built in 1822 The core of the house of two storeys and three bays, double-pile, was extended c. 1830 with an unusual oval drawing-room at one end and dining-room at the other, possibly to designs by Robert Lugar There were late C19 alterations, the house was apparently reoriented to face E instead of W with new porch, dated 1898 Included for its special architectural interest as a late Georgian country house with good interiors.
The main house provides 7 reception rooms and 5/6 bedrooms. Externally is a 3 bedroom cottage and further outbuildings including an old barn (conversion potential subject to planning) modern stable block and double garage. The property sits in about 2.65 acres (stms subject to measured survey) with the River Usk flowing on the northern boundary upon which it enjoys single bank fishing rights. The land includes pretty landscaped grounds and gardens, mature trees and bushes, orchard, vegetable garden and an areas of woodland.
Approached by a smart circular driveway the house is entered through a welcoming columned porch that leads through to the large reception room. This room features an ornate ceiling, fireplace with wood burning stove and an attractive recessed area under an arch with an original circular opening in the ceiling to take heat up to the first floor. Doors lead off to the principal reception rooms. On the left is the elegant oval drawing room overlooking the gardens with its stunning curved walls, bespoke curved doors and cupboards together with a grand fireplace. On the right of the reception room is the cosy library with fitted shelves and an open stone and marble fireplace. A door leads off to the large dining room, with attractive marble fireplace surround, that is perfect for entertaining being close to the kitchen and outdoor terrace.
A door leads off to the kitchen and scullery, an outdoor covered terrace with bar area and down some steps there is a shower room and WC which is adjacent to a reception room/downstairs bedroom overlooking the river. The large storage space above this room, which is boarded, is accessed by a loft ladder. The large kitchen breakfast room has fitted units, integrated appliances and a large green Aga providing a warm focal point. Adjacent is a useful scullery with butler's sink, shelving and an old bread oven. A rear hall leads through to the morning room and a pleasant study with fireplace overlooking the rear garden. Large cellars beneath the library (wine cellar) and the dining room provide further dry storage space.
Stairs rise from the inner hall to the first floor accommodation. A spacious and bright landing area leads to the main bedroom with en suite bathroom and a dressing room (possible 6th bedroom) that overlooks the front garden. Four further generous bedrooms lie on the first floor, all enjoying views across the impressive gardens. These share the use of a large family bathroom and a separate bathroom with separate WC.
A charming cottage which used to be the coach house and stable sits at the rear of the main house alongside the River Usk. This is currently being used as an office/games room. The main entrance leads into a generous sitting room. At the opposite end of the cottage is the kitchen dining room with a downstairs bathroom completing the ground floor. Stairs rise from the sitting room to the main bedroom while a second staircase rises from the kitchen area to the remaining 2 bedrooms and useful store room.
Glan Wysg is approached through a smart gated and pillared main entrance that leads to a circular drive in front of the main house. The house is framed by idyllic grounds including formal gardens with mature trees and bushes flanked on the north side by the River Usk, a delightful wooded area, orchard, vegetable garden and a small paddock area. A drive leads off the main forecourt to the rear courtyard that includes the cottage, old stone barn, stable block, double garage and various store rooms etc.
Handsome Country House with fishingDaniel Rees