A substantial red-brick Victorian former rectory.
The house is approached via a heavy oak door, through a vestibule into the fine stone-floored reception hall, which includes a welcoming open fireplace and features a fine staircase running through the middle of the house to an atrium at the top. From the hall there are doors to the cellars and cloakroom. Overlooking the grounds to the west is the library/office featuring an open bookcase with pediment, marble fireplace and deep windows overlooking the topiary garden. Folding doors open to the drawing room, also approached from the reception hall, a lovely south and west-facing room with French doors and deep windows. The room features high ceilings, a marble fireplace and hearth. The adjoining dining room is a magnificent well-proportioned room extending to over 27 ft in length with lovely southerly views over the gardens and featuring a beautiful marble fireplace. At the opposite end of the house is a cosy sitting room with windows framing lovely views over the grounds towards St. Michael's Church, a carved wood fire surround is set within a wall of book shelving which also includes a secret door into the kitchen. The kitchen is fitted with a range of antique pine units incorporating a matching dresser, four-oven AGA, integrated appliances, twin butler sink unit and finished with a clay-tiled floor. There is a walk-in pantry and a rear door providing access into a Mediterranean-style courtyard finished with clay tiles, a completely private area which is ideal for al fresco dining. From here there is access to a large boiler room and useful store.
From the hall steps lead down to the cellars which run under half of the house comprising six useful storage rooms.
A fine staircase rises to a galleried first floor landing. The principal bedroom suite occupies the whole of the west wing comprising a large bedroom framing lovely views of the grounds, en suite bathroom and fitted en suite dressing room. There are two further double en suite bedrooms on this floor together with a utility room. Stairs then rise to the second floor where a full gallery features a lantern providing a good deal of natural light. There are three bedrooms on this floor, two en suite and a lovely family bathroom with oval bath.
The house has a discreet entrance with a timber five-bar electric gate opening on to a substantial parking area in front of the house. There is a beautiful view from the front drive towards St Edmund's Church. The grounds are protected by a bank of mature trees adjoining open farmland. The swimming pool is protected by high hedging surrounded by paving and has an adjoining pavilion providing changing rooms and shower facilities. Beyond is an all weather tennis court which lies adjacent to a lightly wooded area and immediately behind the house is an attractive topiary garden.
An 1859-built red-brick house constructed for Lawrence Capel Cure to the south of St Edmund's Church as a replacement for a former rectory called The Manor at Abbess Roding. Lawrence was the rector of St Edmund's, Abbess Roding from 1858 until 1912.
View payable Stamp Duty for this property
Tucked away at the end of a long drive, I love the seclusion. Stepping inside, the period features are abundant; fireplaces, high ceilings and big windows. The next owners will be fortunate to have found such a hidden gem.Stephen White