A stunning Grade II listed Elizabethan house set in delightful mature grounds of about 3 acres with garaging and tennis court.
Wix Priory, a small convent of Benedictine nuns, was founded in the early 12th century in the vicinity. The present farmhouse
(known as Wix Abbey) was built as a small Elizabethan hall house by the Vesey family between 1561 and 1575, the land having previously been granted to Cardinal's College Oxford after the Suppression.
The Title of Lord of the Manor of Wix Abbey predates the house, having been held by Cardinal Wolsey (1525) and then King Henry VIII. It was subsequently acquired by William and Robert Vesey in 1561 and stayed with successive owners until the early 19th century. It was purchased back by the owners of Wix Abbey in 2001 at an auction of manorial titles under the auspices of the Manorial Society of Great Britain. (This
title is available by separate negotiation.)
From the entrance vestibule a solid entrance door opens to a grand reception hall with 10' high ceiling and elegant staircase leading to the first floor accommodation with further secondary staircase and stairs down to the cellar. Cloakroom facilities provide a toilet and wash hand basin.
The main drawing room has an impressive open fireplace with carved stone surround, wooden flooring and window seat with steps leading down to a large studio with exposed brickwork, with part vaulted ceiling with four sky lights, attractive wooden flooring and triple aspect including French doors leading out to the gardens. A further sitting room has an open fireplace with
stone surround, built-in cupboards and shelving, wooden flooring and a walk-in storage room.
The kitchen/breakfast room is an impressive room with attractive quarry-tiled flooring, fitted with bespoke kitchen units with dresser-style painted unit, a range of marble work surfaces with cupboards and drawers beneath with
double bowl sink and drainer and plumbing for a dishwasher. Set into the chimney breast is a green four-oven oil-fired Aga and additional two-ring electric hob and an AEG electric oven. Double doors lead through to the dining room with window seat and tiled flooring. A side hallway provides access to a boot room, utility room housing the oil fired boiler and a further cloakroom.
Stairs lead up to the large first floor landing with ample storage with cupboards and shelving. There are window seats overlooking the grounds and stairs leading up to the attic room. The main bedroom has a walk-in dressing area with built-in wardrobe with cupboards above and door leading through to
the bedroom with window seat, further wardrobe space and picture rail. The room has its own en suite facilities with panelled bath, tiled shower cubicle, pedestal wash hand basin and toilet.
A further double bedroom also has a dressing room with built-in wardrobe, the bedroom area again having a box window seat and further wardrobe with storage cupboard above and en suite bathroom with panelled bath, wash hand basin and toilet. The fifth bedroom is found over the entrance vestibule with
views over the central pond whilst at the other end of the house are two further double bedrooms both with built-in wardrobes and a main bathroom with panelled bath with independent shower above, toilet and wash hand basin.
A gated driveway leads down through lawns with orchard to the garaging providing ample parking. An archway leads through the wall, the remainder of the front garden predominantly laid to lawn with a central 110' long feature pond with fledgling beech trees. A low wall screens a shingle area in front of the house with pedestrian access to the side.
The property stands in magnificent mature gardens which have
been beautifully laid out to the rear with a number of mature yew hedges, creating a series of compartments throughout the
grounds. An extensive flagged terrace runs across the rear of the property overlooking a gravelled parterre with central fountain with further yew hedged side garden with gently raised beds and sunken fish pond with water feature and brick paving. These both lead out onto extensive lawns with a variety of established trees and lead round behind the church where there is a hard tennis court with a pavilion 14' x 8', further pond and silver birch trees. There is a screened composting area with garden shed and log store.
In total the grounds extend to about 3 acres.
We understand that mains water, electricity and drainage are connected to the property whilst there is an oil-fired heating system.
Strictly by appointment with Savills.
View payable Stamp Duty for this property