A delightful family home of wonderful character within a short walk of all village amenities.
Located just a short level walk from the heart of this popular South Gloucestershire village yet a totally private sanctuary, Hill House is a truly special home and one of the oldest properties in the village. Built in circa 1570 on top of the original Hill's Place that dated to 1320, the house has a truly fascinating and well documented history. It is intriguing to note that George Fox, one of the founders of the Quaker movement spent his honeymoon in the house in 1669. As the house was built during the period of the Protestant Reformation it was constructed to include three priest holes'. The property also reflects other historical features, which have been incorporated to make the house what it is today. Drip stones, oak mullion windows and a double oak planked, studded front door as well as various styles of beams and hinges, all demonstrate the extensive timeline of the house. Hill House was extended further over the next three centuries with a major restoration undertaken in 1956 and on-going works continue to date.
In addition to the main house there is also a magnificent Grade II listed Cider Barn and Coach House, which benefit from their own private driveway. These wonderful buildings remain largely unchanged since the time that they were built in the 17th Century, still containing the original mill and press. Beneath the barn is a barrel-arched, vaulted cellar of architectural importance and the coach house now serves as a four car garage and workshop. In addition to these, there are independently listed stables and numerous stone outbuildings, the largest of which is now used as a log store.
Awarded a Grade II* English Heritage listing in 1952, Hill House is approached via a long gravel driveway offering privacy from the road. There is a lovely oak panelled entrance hall, a drawing room with splendid Inglenook fireplace, two further receptions and a study on an upper level. The extended kitchen is focused around the original fireplace with bread oven and Aga stove. Reached via a beautiful spiral oak staircase and spread over two further floors, there are six bedrooms, one with adjoining dressing room, with downstairs WC and two family bathrooms. A delightful Georgian library room commands excellent views over the garden. Across the landing from the two large top floor bedrooms is an exceptionally rare find the 17th century Wig Room where a servant would have powdered Gentlemen's wigs. There is significant cellarage with intact stone and brick wine bins. The property now benefits from mains water and drainage, has a mains (gas) boiler replaced four years ago and an oil fired Aga.
Without doubt, the ornamental grounds are truly exceptional. The current owners can provide a detailed plan of some 32 varied trees in the garden that include Ginkgo, Black Mulberry, Japanese Cedar, Weeping Ash and Tulip Trees to name just a few. The very large Yew tree at the front of the house is in excess of 400 years old, as personally certified by David Bellamy OBE, the world famous botanist. Some of these spectacular trees are set beside the stream fed lake and ornamental fish pool and it would be hard to imagine a more restful spot to sit, than beneath these majestic, ancient specimens. The gardens lead to a generous and productive kitchen garden and orchard to the rear with an underground brick lined water tank providing water to the large, heated greenhouse. Also within the grounds that approach some 1.5 acres, is a small vineyard.
View payable Stamp Duty for this property
Beautiful property with a huge amount of history once belonging to the Quakers. It would make the perfect family forever home.David Wild