Georgian mansion in beautiful grounds
Netherurd House is a beautiful Georgian mansion with a lovely setting in its own grounds.
The original house was erected between 1791 and 1794 by William Lawson of Cairnmuir and later sold to John White of Drumelzier. The house was altered and enlarged at various times.
In 1942 Netherurd House was acquired by Major Edward Thomson, an Edinburgh shipping business owner. Thomson had previously bought the neighbouring estate of Castlecraig which had been used as an auxiliary hospital for war wounded. His wife Betty was the first leader of the West Linton Guides in 1924. Netherurd was unfurnished but beds were acquired from Castlecraig. In 1944 Edward and Betty allowed the Girl Guide Association Scotland (now known as Girlguiding Scotland) to use Netherurd House and garden for a nominal rent. In 1952 he gave the house and part of the grounds to Girlguiding Scotland outright as a training centre. Edward Thomson died in 1977 and Betty a year later. They had no children.
The house has an impressive front façade with a pediment above over a pilastered doorway with a balcony and Palladian window above. The main house is four storeys with a Victorian wing at the back which incorporates a conservatory.
Many period features such as original timber work, cornicing and fireplaces remain. The upper floors are accessed by a beautiful front stairway with halls at each level. There are also back stairs and a lift to the first floor.
Pillared entrance to hall with stairway to first floor. Library with tiled fireplace with wooden mantel. Office with bay window to the west. Corridor with servery off to dining room.
Commercial kitchen in centre of house with four oven AGA. Back kitchen and stores. Cloakroom with two WCs and lift to first floor. Two further WCs at back door.
Off the dining room is the conservatory which has an accessible WC. There is a staff flat with sitting room, bedroom and bathroom.
The first floor is the principal floor of the house. It has a magnificent hallway or landing with the Palladian window. To the west are two drawing rooms linked by retractable, sliding doors. Both rooms have lovely fireplaces. To the east is a lounge / bar with fitted dresser and a lift to the ground floor. There is an office behind and a block of five WCs.
The second floor also has an impressive hall or landing. There are four principal bedrooms to the front of the house all with en suite shower rooms. There are two further double bedrooms and three single bedrooms served by four shower rooms.
The third (or attic) floor has a central hall with four shower rooms and four WCs. There are ten bedrooms on this floor, one of which has its own shower room.
Adjoining the staff flat to the rear, but accessed by outside doors only, is a range of rooms previously used as a shop, laundry and accessible apartment (with ramp).
Garden and Grounds
Netherurd House is set in gardens, parkland and wooded policies extending to 24.85 acres.
The gardens run along a terrace to the west of the house. There is a paved sitting area with a small formal garden laid out below. Below this is a sweeping area of lawn with the Back Burn running through it and the bridge leading to the tarmac parking area at the front door. To the west of this area is a large pond surrounded by trees.
Beyond the pond is a long strip of woodland with the west drive running along its edge, going all the way to the west entrance which is off the A721. The drive from the house continues to the main entrance to the east, with a narrower strip of woodland alongside it.
To the north of the house is a triangle of land which connects to the old tennis court site. A canvas shelter for outdoor activities has been created here. There are also two large wooden climbing structures with climbing apparatus (only to be used under supervision of qualified instructors). There are wooden stores.
Between the house and the walled garden is the Crossroads Field. This has a wooden pavilion overlooking it and the Back Burn running to a pond in the bottom corner. It has been used as a camping site by Girlguiding Scotland.
To the south of the drive is the Bryland Site. This field has a wooden clad cabin with fixed WCs and showers in front. In the paddock there are six wooden Hobbit houses with built in benches. There are also two open fronted wooden shelters.
View payable LBTT Calculator for this property