A wonderful opportunity to acquire an original 5 storey Georgian townhouse either as a whole or in two lots.
From the original records held by the Theosophical Society it is understood that the ground was purchased in 1819 by John Buchanan Kincaid (being originally land owned by the Governors of the Hospital founded by George Heriot). The house was completed and occupied around 1823 and appears to have had 3 previous owners up to 1910 when it was purchased on behalf of The Theosophical Society in Scotland as its Headquarters in Scotland and has remained so until a Charity, which is called The Theosophical Society in Scotland Charity was formed on the 3rd February 2017. An aim of the Charity is to maintain, expand and use the original very important Library as a Reference Facility, which will be linked to other important similar libraries in Europe and other parts of the world. To this end the Charity have plans to build a purpose designed Repository in the car park of the present building, accessed from South East Cumberland Street Lane.
Edinburgh Council Planning Portal Planning reference 17/04898/FUL
The sale of 28 and 28A Great King Street offers a rare opportunity to acquire this wonderful original townhouse either as a whole or in two separate lots. The property has been largely unmodernised since the last century, being currently in office use, but with great potential to create a single family house or two separate dwellings. Much of the original period detail is intact and of particular note is the pillared entrance reception hall and stairway rising to the upper floors, the ground floor reception rooms one of which is bow ended and the stunning first floor interconnected reception rooms with their white marble mantelpieces, decorative ceilings and ornate plasterwork. On the second floor there are fine views particularly to the north with distant views to the Firth of Forth and Fife.
The property is offered for sale with vacant possession and in two lots as follows:-
Lot 1 No 28
Ground floor: entrance hall, front and rear reception rooms, kitchenette, W.C.
First floor: drawing room open plan to library, office.
Second floor: 3 offices, store room, 2 W.C's, kitchenette.
Lot 2 No 28A
Basement with front entrance; 3 offices, 2 W.C's.
Sub basement: wine cellar, 2 offices, door to rear garden.
There is a paved courtyard in the front well area with under pavement cellars and a walled rear garden with planted areas.
It is anticipated that planning consent for change of use to residential would be forthcoming however prospective purchasers will be deemed to have satisfied themselves in all respects with regard to planning and listed buildings consent.
The property is currently supplied with all mains services. In the event of the property being sold in two separate lots the sellers will be responsible for the separation of the services. Further details are available from the selling agents.
The proposed garden boundary which will delineate the garden area to remain with the basement and sub basement (Lot 2) is 11.8 metres distant from the rear wall of the building. The sellers will be responsible for erection of a suitable division between the garden and the rear portion of land which is retained in their ownership, for building the library.
Fixtures and fittings
Please note that the following are excluded from the sale:
The chandelier and wall lights, brass fender and fire irons and gilt mirror in the first floor reception rooms.
Non-residential property transactions - LBTT rates and bands
For non-residential property transactions, the rate of tax is determined in the same manner as for residential property transactions but by reference to different rates and bands. Please refer to following web link.
The property is A-Listed
View payable LBTT Calculator for this property