A country estate with Victorian mansion, stabling and gatehouse in about 340 acres
Craigallian lies in the unspoilt countryside on the eastern edge of the Kilpatrick Hills in Strathblane, an area that has been described as The Gateway To The Highlands.
The communications to and from Craigallian are excellent. The centre of Glasgow (12 miles) can be reached in under half an hour by car in normal driving conditions or by train from Milngavie (5 miles). Glasgow Airport, with regular domestic and international flights, can be reached in about 20 minutes via the Erskine Bridge and Edinburgh (55 miles) is a little over an hour away in normal driving conditions via the M8.
Good local shopping can be found at Milngavie including, Waitrose and Marks & Spencer, whilst Glasgow provides the complete range of shopping and cultural facilities.
Craigallian is within easy reach of many leisure activities with four golf courses less than five miles away, fishing and water sports at Loch Lomond (12 miles) and skiing at Fort William (90 miles) and Glencoe (75 miles) during the winter.
The first house at Craigallian was built after 1696 and probably before 1714. In "The Parish of Strathblane and its Inhabitants from Early Times (pub 1886), John Guthrie Smith described it as having been a fine old fashioned House. The estate changed hands in 1751 after which the house was only partly used. It gradually fell into disrepair until it was finally demolished in 1850.
The second house, built about 1850, was a Convenient Farm House, similar in style to the first Craigallian. It was occupied for many years by the tenant of the farm.
A G Barnes-Graham succeeded to his family estates, including Craigallian, in 1875. Some additions and improvements to Craigallian were carried out and his brother in law and local factor, Lindsey Small, occupied the house in 1878. A G Barnes-Graham and family stayed there in the summers of 1881 and 1882. He then decided to make his home there, moving from Lymekilns, East Kilbride. Dry rot at Craigallian resulted in the house being demolished in the autumn of 1883, when the building of the present house commenced. It was completed in the autumn of 1885. The architect was a Mr Ritchie of Glasgow. The present owners are only the third family to own the present house.
Craigallian is a lovely country estate with an imposing house in beautiful surroundings. The estate comprises some 340 acres including a loch with boathouse, forestry and pasture land. There is a good stable block attached to the house and the estate provides some lovely rides. There is considerable potential to expand the pheasant and duck shooting which has in the past provided some very good sport.
Built in 1884, the house is well protected from the north and east by mature woodland whilst the land slopes away to the west and south affording fine open views. It is built of stone under a slate roof.
Oak outer storm doors and a half glazed door lead to a hall with oak inlaid panelling, leaded windows, ornate cornice and fleur de lys plaster work. Off the hall is a cloakroom with WC, wash hand basin, stained glass windows and hanging rail. An arched screen divides off the staircase hall which has a wood burning stove and an oak panelled staircase. The drawing room, dining room, library and morning room all open directly off the hall. The drawing room has a polished timber floor, oak lined bay windows and a fireplace housing a living flame gas fire. It has wonderful views over the gardens and parkland towards Craigallian Loch. The dining room has a polished timber floor, oak lined bay windows, dado panelling and a stone fireplace with wooden surround and a gas fire. The library has panelled walls, fitted shelves, gas flame effect fire and wooden fireplace and ornate cornicing. There is also a morning room with fitted bookshelves with cupboards and drawers below, It has a Victorian style fireplace with overmantel and a living flame gas fire. The billiard room, in the east wing, is panelled to picture rail height with a panelled ceiling, and a wood burning stove is set into a wooden Victorian style fireplace.
The kitchen and adjoining utility room lie toward the rear of the house in the west wing with external access from the courtyard. The kitchen is by Clive Christian. It is conveniently situated for the dining room, with a pantry and an inner hall linking the two rooms. This inner hall links to a passageway from the entrance hall. Off the passageway are a wc, a laundry room, a wine store and a service stair to the first floor. A service corridor behind the staircase hall leads to a flower room or linen store and a bathroom. A further hallway off the staircase hall accesses the billiard room and the east wing. Adjacent to the billiard room a further inner hallway with a tiled floor accesses the conservatory, a wc, a back door to the courtyard, the former kitchen, stores and a staff sitting room. A staircase leads downstairs to the basement which houses the boiler. A secondary staircase leads upstairs to four first floor room used as offices and storage, and a bathroom, and continues to the second floor where there are two former bedrooms and three store rooms.
The main first floor landing is lit by a large skylight. There are seven bedrooms on this floor, all with ornate cornicing; two have fitted furniture. Some enjoy a lovely outlook over the loch. The master bedroom has an en suite bathroom and a walk in cupboard with shelves and hanging space. Its dressing room has a cast iron fireplace with timber overmantel and a fitted corner cupboard. The other bedrooms are served by a bathroom with panelled walls and by a shower room. Also on this floor are two linen cupboards, a store room with hanging rails and shelves and a maids room with shelves and porcelain sink. A door accesses the service stairs to the ground floor and the attic and there is also a connecting door to the east wing.
The main staircase, with under stairs cupboard and oak handrail, continues to the second floor where there are four secondary bedrooms and a bathroom. The bedrooms have coombed ceilings and dormer windows, and three have original cast iron fireplaces. At mezzanine level, between the first and second floors is a gun room. On the third or attic floor, there are two store rooms, one of which has been used as a studio; the other houses the water tanks. A hatch from the landing accesses the roof void and a door leads to a spiral staircase to the tower. The first room in the tower has a door to a balcony. Further up the staircase there is a door to the parapet and roof. At the top of the tower is a room with panelled ceiling and walls.
Courtyard and stables
The rear section of the house is built around a service courtyard which is accessed by double gates from the north side of the house. The kitchen and utility room form the southern portion of the west range, along with an open fronted garage with panelled walls and ceiling and space for four cars. Above the kitchen area is a playroom with coombed ceiling, blocked up fireplace and panelled walls. Over the garage, accessed from the courtyard by its own staircase, is a self-contained housekeeper's flat with sitting room, kitchen, two bedrooms and bathroom.
The north west range, to the left of the gates, comprises a workshop, a gas store and a former byre which is accessed from outwith the courtyard. To the right of the gates is a large tool store and workshop with access to extensive L shaped loft space above the tool store and the east range. A spiral stair in the north east corner of the courtyard also accesses this loft space. The east range of the courtyard includes former stabling and grooms' accommodation and various store rooms.
Attached to the east wall of the courtyard are further store rooms, stabling, a single garage and a potting shed. Outside the main entrance to the courtyard are dog kennels.
Gardens and grounds
In front of the house and to the east are lawns surrounded by masses of daffodils in spring and a variety of shrubs and other plants. Beyond the lawns are rhododendrons and mature trees including sycamore, yew, Scots pine, rowan and larch. To the east of the house is a hard tennis court, in need of upgrade, and a small summer house is set in a secluded position surrounded by mature trees and shrubs.
Lying on the west side of the estate this area comprises some 325 acres of amenity and commercial woods and pasture land. The amenity woodland, is planted with native hardwoods and conifers and offers excellent scope for increasing the sporting potential. The woods have been well managed by Scottish Woodlands and a forestry plan is available on request.
Craigallian Loch provides some enjoyable and productive trout fishing. Included is the boathouse and a small amenity wood on the southern tip of the loch, comprising some 7.6 acres of broadleaves and Norway spruce. The loch is informally let to Craigallian Angling Club for a modest income.
Good access tracks around the estate mean most areas can be easily reached. The tracks within the forestry blocks are well maintained and convenient for forestry operations.
Craigallian has in the past provided a very wide range of sport. The estate is well stocked with hardwood trees, which have been thoughtfully laid out to improve the pheasant drives. There are two duck flighting ponds as well as the loch. There is some roe stalking.
Craigallian Gatehouse is a charming sandstone gate house of great character. Thought to date from 1884 when the main house was rebuilt, it currently provides valuable monthly income from a short assured tenancy. It offers flexible accommodation and a small private garden. An entrance porch leads into a sitting room with wood burning stove. Off the sitting room is 2 bedrooms and inner hall to bathroom and kitchen. The kitchen is well equipped and leads to a conservatory with space for dining table and chairs. It has a private garden.
View payable LBTT Calculator for this property
*Currency rates are updated daily at approximately 01:00 GMT | Property Reference Number: GBGLRSGLS150078
163 West George Street
+44 (0) 141 222 5875
163 West George Street
+44 (0) 141 222 5875