Extraordinary Victorian Gothic mansion with outstanding original features.
Dalmoak Castle is a Category A Listed castellated Tudor style Gothic mansion built circa 1866 1869 by the architect Alexander Watt (1827 1890) for John Aiken (1801 1875). The house was then inherited by his son James Aiken (1843 1928). There is a wealth of original features including gun loop details, square plan tower, armorial plaque and monograms of the owner, James Aiken, on keystones.
The sumptuous interior includes a tripartite etched glass vestibule door, magnificent scagliola Corinthian columns, hardwood imperial staircase and three beautiful round arched stained glass windows on the landing depicting Celtic mythological scenes. These beautiful windows show the origins of the owner, James Aiken, and are a tribute to glaziers WG and JJ Keir who are known for their work in Glasgow Cathedral. These windows may be the largest stained glass windows in a private house in the United Kingdom.
During the Second World War the Royal Air Force used Dalmoak Castle as its local headquarters. In 1989 It became a nursing home and was fully restored in the 1990s. Dalmoak Castle retains its current commercial use under Scotland Class 8 (residential school/college/training centre/nursing home).
The accommodation extends to approximately 9500 sq ft and includes 14 bedrooms, many with en suites, basement with wine cellar, offices / studies and a wonderful grand hallway with imperial staircase and arched stained glass windows on the landing. The lavish public rooms include a drawing room, study, music room and formal dining room and there are tower rooms on the second and third floors with a roof terrace on the fourth floor.
The grounds surrounding Dalmoak Caste are mainly lawned. To the north there are the former stables which are now privately owned cottages.
View payable LBTT Calculator for this property
Category A Listed mansion formerly used as a nursing home with a wealth of original features.Peter Gillespie