Front
2,676 sq ft(248.61 sq m)
Offers over £550,000

The Place11 Mill Avenue, Kilmaurs, Ayrshire, KA3 2NL


    Key features

    • Category B Listed Scottish mansion
    • Built by the Cunninghame family (later the earls of Glencairn) in 1649
    • The stone vaulted room from the original tower remains intact
    • Modern fitted kitchen with a range of base and wall mounted units installed in 2012
    • Set amidst mature gardens and a paddock extending to approximately 3 acres
    • Three stables, substantial garaging and workshop
    • Open aspects over Morton Park
    • The village of Kilmaurs lies between Kilmarnock and Stewarton and close to the M77

    Characterful period house with historic original features and about 3 acres.

    About this property

    • The Place, Kilmaurs is a Category B listed, T plan Scottish mansion with crow step gables which was built circa 1640 by the Cunninghame family (later the earls of Glencairn). To the west of the property are the remains of an earlier tower house. The stone vaulted room from the original tower house remains intact and this beautiful barrel vaulted room is at the west end of The Place.

      The accommodation of The Place begins with an entrance hallway with a stained glass door leading to the open plan dining hallway which has a timber beam effect to the ceiling and a sweeping stone staircase to the rear. The drawing room has double glazed sash and case windows to front and rear overlooking the surrounding gardens with a magnificent 17th century stone fireplace at focal point. The wonderfully atmospheric barrel vaulted sitting room (formerly the chancellor's room) dates from the 16th century and has a fireplace and slate hearth with log burner and a door to the side. The ground floor accommodation continues with a modern fitted kitchen with a fine range of base and wall mounted units which were installed by JS Geddes in 2012 with underfloor heating and timber beam effect to ceiling. Off the kitchen there is a utility room with a cloakroom / WC. The first floor accommodation comprises bedroom one with en suite shower room off, two additional double sized bedrooms and a bathroom with modern white suite incorporating Villeroy & Boch fittings. The second floor is home to two additional bedrooms and a bathroom.

      The grounds surrounding The Place are a credit to the current owners and at the front of the property (south facing) the grounds include a field/paddock and mature lawned gardens with a wide variety of shrubs and trees with fence and walled surround. There are pathways through the gardens and the elevated position provides views over surrounding parkland, bowling club and the village beyond. There is also a wildlife pond. The gardens to the rear of The Place are again mainly lawned with a variety of mature trees and shrubs.

      Outbuildings
      The outbuildings include three former stables, substantial garaging and workshop with additional log store and potting shed.

      View payable LBTT Calculator for this property

    An Elegant and Historic country house with 16th Century vaulted sitting room with equestrian potential and beautiful surrounding gardens. A rare gem with outbuildings and potential to work from home and within 30 minutes train from Kilmaurs to the centre of Glasgow.

    Peter GillespieProperty agent

    Local information

    • The Place in Kilmaurs enjoys a wonderful setting amidst mature gardens and a paddock which extends to approximately 3 acres. The property has open aspects over Morton Park.
    • The village of Kilmaurs lies between Kilmarnock and Stewarton and is within striking distance of the M77 which provides excellent access to Glasgow and Ayrshire. The skyline of the village of Kilmaurs is dominated by the bell tower of St Maur's church. The church is thought to date back as far as 1170 although the bell tower as it stands today dates from 1888.
    • The village offers primary schooling with secondary schooling provided in the neighbouring village of Stewarton. Private schooling is available at Wellington School in Ayr and a wide range of private schools can be found in the south side of Glasgow including Hutchesons' Grammar School and Belmont House School. The city of Glasgow can be accessed easily by road or by rail from Kilmaurs and the Ayrshire coast is famous worldwide for golf with championship courses at Royal Troon, Prestwick and Turnberry, all of which have hosted the Open Championship. There is also a local golf course at Rowallan. Ayr Racecourse has regular race meetings and hosts the Scottish Grand National and there is excellent sailing on the Firth of Clyde with yachting marinas at Troon and further up the coast at Largs and Inverkip.

    Additional information

    • Historical Note
    • Following a feud between the Montgomery and Cunninghame families the land passed into the hands of the Montgomery family. On the west side of the mansion house staircase above the original entrance can be seen an empty armorial niche. One could speculate that this originally held the coat of arms of the Cunninghame's which was chipped away when the Montgomerys took over! The house remained in the Montgomery family until 1920 when Lady Sophia Montgomery left the house and surrounding land in her Will to the village of Kilmaurs. The land was made into Morton Park and the mansion house has remained in private ownership ever since.
    • Directions: From central Glasgow take the M8 and M77 south and leave at Junction 7 signposted Fenwick/Stewarton/Kilmaurs. Turn right and then first left onto the B751 and continue towards Kilmaurs. Continue past Rowallan Golf Course and turn left into Mill Avenue. Turn right into the park and continue towards the private gate and entrance to The Place and continue into the driveway. Postcode for Sat Nav: KA3 2NL
    • EPC Rating = E