Savills | Ferry Inn, Rosneath, By Helensburgh, G84 0RS | Property for sale
4,955 sq ft(460.33 sq m)
Offers over £875,000

Ferry InnRosneath, By Helensburgh, G84 0RS

  • Recently sold

Key features

  • Sold in December 2021
  • Set in approximately four acres on the Rosneath Peninsula
  • Flexible family accommodation over three levels
  • Magnificent views over the Gare Loch
  • Additional one bedroom cottage
  • Formal gardens with gravel courtyard parking area

Historic Arts and Crafts A listed house with separate cottage and views over the Gare Loch.

About this property

  • The original Ferry Inn stood next to the main jetty for the ferry which ran between Rosneath and Rhu on the opposite side of Gare Loch. The inn dated from 1800 and was extended three times between 1862 and 1897.

    In about 1896 Princess Louise, Queen Victoria's daughter, instructed a young architect called Edwin Lutyens to extend the inn as a private residence. Princess Louise's husband was the Marquis of Lorne, who succeeded his father in 1900 as the 9th Duke of Argyll.

    Lutyens was only 27 when he undertook this commission. His design added the part of the house which still exists today. The original inn was subsequently demolished, leaving Ferry Inn and Ferry Inn Cottage which stands as a detached dwelling behind.

    The house is one of only two Lutyens buildings in Scotland and is a fine example of the architect's style at this period. Lutyens created a two storey house over a raised basement in the Arts and Crafts style. The house is unusual in that its three main elevations, to the south, east and north, are all very different. The original drawings for Ferry Inn (which included a much grander Baronial style scheme which was not adopted) are held by the Royal Institute of British Architects. The importance Lutyens gave to the scheme and his royal clients is illustrated by the fact that he added watercolour to his sketch drawings.

    The many beautifully preserved features of Ferry Inn include the dominant triple chimney stack, the impressive stone entrance hall with its curving roof ends and the arched doorways. There are a variety of window styles at different levels, including outshot windows at first floor level on the east elevation overlooking the sea, arched windows on the ground floor and the near full length windows to the drawing room.

    The house combines both quality craftsmanship with superb internal accommodation which is, despite the historic nature of the property, ideal for modern family living. Off the large central reception hall are the dining room, kitchen, study, morning room and magnificent drawing room along with staircases which lead to both the upper floor and the lower ground floor. The kitchen was refitted in 2003 by Clive Christian of London and it is finished to an exceptionally high standard, with multiple cabinets, worktops made of granite and Corian, a central island and a number of integral appliances. A small morning room has a door out to the garden. There is a long landing on the first floor, off which are four double bedrooms. The principal bedroom has its own luxurious bathroom and there are two further bathrooms, unusual for the period, in that they are original to the layout, and include a wonderfully stylish Art Deco style bath / shower room.

    The lower ground floor offers further accommodation including a hallway, sitting room and a further bedroom, presently used as a gym, giving five bedrooms in total.

    FERRY INN COTTAGE
    The accommodation in the cottage has an open plan living room/bedroom and includes an expertly designed kitchen and bathroom.

    Below the living space at ground floor level are various useful outbuildings including a boiler room, wood store, workshop and cold store. Additional outbuildings include a tractor shed, greenhouse and garden shed.

    GROUNDS
    Ferry Inn is set in gardens and grounds extending to around 4 acres. This ownership includes around 250 metres of loch frontage and the shingle beach in front.

    Formal gardens surround the house, with a gravel courtyard parking area to the south enclosed by railway sleeper walls with trees and shrubs. To the north of the house is a terrace and a well stocked garden enclosed by a thick beech hedge. This secluded garden is an ideal spot for summer entertaining and is reached directly from the morning room.

    The grounds to the north of the house are mown parkland, with some fine trees.

    View payable LBTT Calculator for this property

The views from this Historic Arts and Crafts villa absolutely blew me away! A special house in a special spot!

Caroleanne GallagherProperty agent

Local information

  • Ferry Inn is set in around 4 acres of its own grounds on the Rosneath Peninsula, the grounds form the corner of the promontory on the edge of Rosneath which juts out into the sea loch. There are magnificent views from the house over the loch and to the marina at Rhu on the opposite shore.
  • The Rosneath Peninsula lies to the north of the Firth of Clyde. The peninsula is reached by the road from Garelochhead in its neck to the north. The peninsula is bounded by Loch Long to the northwest, Gare Loch to the east and the Firth of Clyde to the south and is connected to the mainland by a narrow isthmus at its northern end. Gare Loch has been used as a naval base since the 1830s and Faslane on the opposite side of the loch is a key naval base to this day. There is also a naval yard at Coulport on the west side of the peninsula. The peninsula is about 8 miles long and is only 2.5 miles wide at its widest point. A ridge runs along the centre of the peninsula from where there are magnificent views in all directions. Villages situated along the coastline include Rosneath, Kilcreggan and Cove.
  • Helensburgh on the opposite side of the loch is a larger town with a full range of supermarkets, high street stores, independent shops and both local authority and private schools.
  • The accessibility of the Rosneath Peninsula has been greatly improved by the opening of the new Ministry of Defence road over the hills to Loch Lomond. The journey time to Loch Lomond, the Erskine Bridge and Glasgow Airport has been significantly reduced by the new road which bypasses Shandon, Rhu and Helensburgh on the A814 on the other side of the loch.

Additional information

  • Directions: From Glasgow Airport take the M8 northwest to Junction 30 and exit to the Erskine Bridge. Take the A82 north past Balloch and pass the entrance to Cameron House Hotel and Marina on the right hand side. At the next roundabout turn left signposted Helensburgh and then turn left at the roundabout following the road into Helensburgh. Continue down Sinclair Street and turn right into West Montrose Street (signposted Helensburgh Cricket and Rugby Club). Continue to the junction with Clyde Street (with the Firth of Clyde facing you) and turn right (A814). Continue through Rhu, Shandon, pass Faslane Naval Base on the left and go through Garelochhead. Turn left signposted Rosneath (B833) and follow the shores of Gare Loch for 6 miles to the village of Rosneath. In Rosneath, turn left at the Co-op and follow this road, forking left, and, continuing to Ferry Inn, taking the second driveway on the left hand side just before the shore of the loch.
  • EPC Rating = F
  • Tenure = Freehold