Superbly situated listed watermill overlooking the mill pond and grounds beyond
The Watermill occupies a superb setting overlooking mature gardens, mill pond and grounds. The property is Grade II* listed being of special architectural or historical interest and is believed to date from the 17th century. The Mill House construction is of a timber frame with rendered and colour washed exteriors under a pantiled roof. Of particular note is the access from the dining room to the terrace, which overlooks the mill pond and gardens beyond. It is believed that there has been a mill on the site since the Domesday and the current mill was built in 1800 on the site of a former one with medieval origins. It is constructed from a timber frame on brick footings with weatherboard exteriors under a slate roof with a lucam on the east end. It is understood that Mr Lowe was the miller in the late 18th and early 19th century and a carving on an internal timber shows I Lowe 1800'. Internally it is laid out over four floors with much of the original mill machinery and the mill race running below.
Agents Note: The historic mill must remain externally the same and whilst limited conversion may be allowed so long as it is within terms of the current layout and internal machinery. Any potential development of the building would be strictly subject to listed building and planning consents. The ground floor accommodation offers a spacious reception hall with lime stone floor and wood burner with principal stair to first floor. The drawing room is a well proportioned room with a red inglenook fireplace and the sitting room is an inviting intimate room with wood burner. The dining room has an oil fired Aga and door to the terrace and continues through to the bespoke kitchen, which has wooden base and wall mounted units, wooden worktop and pamment floor. The first and second floor accommodation comprises 5 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms.
A recessed five bar electric gate opens onto a gravelled drive, which sweeps in between the mill and tail race which is part fenced and surrounded by mature trees predominately willow with a lawn to one side interspersed by silver birches with river beyond. The drive culminates in a wide gravel sweep to the front of the house. To the west and front elevation of the house there are well stocked flower beds and shrubberies with steps leading down to a walk and fruit trees along the river. To the south is an outbuilding set in a part walled courtyard. An arch leads through to the fully walled formal garden which
is divided by brick pathways with roses, honeysuckle and clematis adorning the wall and stocked beds with a number of specimen shrubs, herbaceous border and rose beds.
To the remainder of the south and east lie the main mill pond and majority of the gardens which are laid to undulating lawns with flower beds and shrubberies leading down to the automated sluice gates. Mown walkways and wide brick terracing surround the mill pond and the island, which is covered by mature trees. Lawns stretch beyond the water dotted with specimen shrubs and trees. The area is alive with a wide range of wild life including swans, kingfishers and otters.
The owner will be responsible for the sluice gate to maintain the river levels.
Constructed from brick under a pitched red pantiled roof. It has lapsed planning to convert into ancillary accommodation.
Mains water and electricity. Oil fired central heating. Private drainage.
View payable Stamp Duty for this property