A beautifully presented historic manor house in an idyllic location.
Shirenewton Hall is a remarkably impressive property built of attractive stone with parapet gables and ball finials. Standing prominently on a hilltop, over 500 feet above sea level, the property has stunning views over its own land, the Bristol Channel and the countryside beyond. The house has been very well maintained following a major renovation from the current owners and decorated with great flair to reflect the special character of the building and its period.
The Hall benefits from wonderfully proportioned rooms with magnificent fireplaces, ornate high ceilings, moulded cornices and wooden panelling. The formal rooms have lovely English oak floors and panelled doors, with original brass furnishings, set in deep moulded architraves.
One of the particular features of the house is the easy flow of elegant rooms from the Elizabethan style central hall, which is full height to an atrium with an original (not working)organ with organ pipes at first floor level. In keeping with the hall's interesting history the ballroom has an oriental influence and ornate wooden staircase rises to a wide first floor balconied landing.
From the landing is extensive and again, well proportioned, bedroom accommodation with a good balance of bathrooms. The principal bedroom suites face south with two windows opening on to a balcony with superb views over the garden and the countryside beyond.
A castellated tower with spiral stone staircase located in the south eastern corner of the house provides access to a view point from where there is a magnificent 360º view over the surrounding countryside. Along the southern elevation is an Italianate, ornamental veranda with stone pillar archways.
Within the Hall is an indoor swimming pool.
Click here for digital brochure
Alternatively copy and paste this link into your browser
The Garden and Grounds
In all Shirenewton Hall extends to 29.5 acres of which 23 acres is pasture adjoining the gardens to the south and is separated from the southern lawn by a Ha-Ha. The Hall is approached through electrically operated cast iron Listed gates from where the gravelled drive sweeps under an avenue of trees and a wide variety of tall acers and rhododendrons to a turning circle and bronze fountain in front of the house.
The beautiful gardens have colourful herbaceous borders, large expanses of lawn, magnificent trees, water features and mature hedges. Of particular note is the Japanese Garden. It is a rare and well preserved example of a Japanese Garden of a type fashionable at the beginning of the 20th Century. The garden contains six ponds at different levels, a tea house, now Grade II* Listed, two bridges and winding pathways. Many of the plants and trees were grown from seed brought back from the Far East. The Japanese theme is continued to the east of the house where there is the impressive one and a half tonne Temple Bell, hanging under a pagoda style roof which has been at the hall since 1903.
There has been a house on the site of Shirenewton Hall since the days of William Blethyn, Bishop of Llandaff who died in 1575. The house was built in an Italianate style around 1830 by William Hollis who was Sheriff of Monmouthshire in 1831. In 1890 the property was purchased by Mr Charles Oswald Liddell who also served as Sheriff in 1918 and is responsible for the oriental themes at the property. On the east lawn hangs an impressive one and a half tonne Temple Bell under a pagoda style roof. It was brought to the hall in 1903 after the Boxer Rebellion in China. It was at this time that the Japanese Garden was created.
The period detail in this house is of the greatest integrityLindsay Cuthill