Commanding an elevated position with superb far-reaching views to the south over the ancient town of Rye to the sea and to the west over the Tillingham Valley, Leasam House is an exceptional Grade II listed Georgian country mansion which has been refurbished and modernised, marrying elegant period features with contemporary style.
The site has a long and fascinating history dating back to the 13th century. The then Manor House was purchased and demolished in 1790 by a local banker and Town Clerk of Rye, Jeremiah Curteis. The house is understood to have been constructed in about 1800 and further additions and improvements were made during the 19th century. Since the 1800's its various owners have included several members of Parliament and at one point was a private school.
The façade has a pedimented three bay red brick centre with a porch incorporating six Ionic columns. The west wing, built in the traditional Georgian manor house style is understood to have been re-built in about 1840. The period features include wonderful high ceilings with elegant cornicing, deep sculptured door architraves, moulded panelling and decorative plaster garlands. The music room was deliberately built with extra high ceilings for acoustic reasons and has an impressive marble fireplace. Several of the rooms, including the music room and
drawing room have working shutters. There are elegant fireplaces in the drawing room and sitting room and wooden floors in many ground floor rooms. A sweeping staircase rises to the first floor landing with a large sash window on the return. The house has been reconfigured to provide an excellent flow of accommodation combining formal and informal areas, creating a supremely comfortable and luxurious environment.
Gardens and Grounds
Leasam House is approached via a long country lane which finishes at high wrought iron gates set into brick pillars. The drive divides into front and back allowing separation between family and guests and trade/staff. The delightful gardens have both formal elements, with terraced lawns, mellow stone paths and steps with brick retaining walls forming a backdrop for the colourful flowerbeds, and informal areas with shrubs and ornamental/specimen trees.
The west of the house has a naturally sheltered terraced area with beautiful views and to the north a terrace of steps lead down to a sheltered tennis court. Further features include planted walks and water garden.
The Grange is a substantial three bedroomed secondary house suitable for family members, guests, offices or staff accommodation. There are 19 garage spaces (with space for more), some of which were converted from former stables.