A beautiful and historic country house in an idyllic setting close to Norwich.
Swainsthorpe Hall is a most a most attractive and historic house originally dating from the 17th century with later alterations and additions in the 19th century. The Grade II listed house is set in a beautiful and unspoilt rural position approached by a long private drive of about half a mile and extensive gardens and grounds of about 8 acres through which flows the River Tas, to which there is extensive frontage.
The house was believed to have been originally built by Richard Maingay, former mayor of Norwich, in 1654. The house retains much period detail and in particular a magnificent fire place in the drawing room with the coat of arms of the Merchant Adventurers and incorporating the date of 1654. Swainsthorpe Hall has spacious well-arranged accommodation, as can be seen from the floor plans, with four main reception rooms and a fine and well fitted large kitchen/breakfast room with Aga. There are six bedrooms and four bathrooms arranged over two floors. The house was acquired by the current owners in 1988 and was the subject of a thorough and extensive programme of complete restoration and refurbishment at the time. Further improvements have been made over the years and the house has been a much loved and well cared for family home.
The house is approached by a sweeping gravel drive which finishes to the front and north of the house where the front door is situated and where there is an ample gravel turning and parking space. The drive also divides and approaches the house on the west side where the back door is situated and also provides access to the barn, garaging and outbuildings (please refer to the floor plans).
The garden's grounds and lands are a delightful feature of the property and are arranged as follows: adjoining the house to the south there is a large paved terrace and a vine-clad pergola and seating area. Steps lead down to the formal lawned garden which has well stocked mixed shrub and herbaceous beds and a variety of fine mature trees including beech, oak and acacia. A large area of formal lawn is bounded by beech hedge and then there is an area of grassland and meadow bordering the River Tas and with extensive frontage to the river. To the southeast of the house there is a hard tennis court and to the east of this an orchard. A bridge over the moat leads to a further area of grassland and meadow land with alders bounded by the river. There are fine views beyond over the surrounding water meadows and farmland. To the north and east of the house there are fenced paddocks providing excellent grazing on higher ground. An avenue of red oaks lines the drive leading to the front door. The land in all extends to about 7.85 acres.
THE FARM BUILDINGS
These lie to the southwest of the house and comprise a fine traditional timber frame barn with some magnificent beams together with adjoining outbuildings, workshop and garaging and behind this a stable yard with a range of open fronted cart bays. Please refer to the floor plans.
View payable Stamp Duty for this property
This is one of the most unspoilt and beautiful settings that I have seen so close to Norwich.Louis de Soissons